TC Encore .50 beyond 200 yds w/BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayles

Reaction score
Conditions HOT! 90 degrees [was thankful for canopy]wind 5 to 10 quartering from behind, Mirage was horrible, a rare cloud allowed for great visabilit every once in a while. Equip: TC encore, burris 4.5 to 14 ballistic plex, BH209 ,110 gr weighed. harvester short black sabot and 250 SW. Did not really shoot for groups as I was seeing what trajectery was to know what cross hair to use. Ended up about .5 in. high at 100 yds to have the marks work out to where the yardage was even. Shot out to 275 yards useing the tip of cross hair post at that range. The accuracy was absoluty amazing. Lets just put it this way if someone has a great rest and the wind is minamal, you know exactly what the range is, and you load consistantly. three inch groups at 275 yards ain't no problem. Really need cooler day with overcast to see what this combo can truly do.
Wayles

Pretty good shootin there.

Almost not even worth having a centerfire when you can shoot a muzzy with an effective range of almost 300 yards.

3 inch groups at 275 yards is amazing... I have center fires I can't shoot that good. Still, I understand what you're saying about the perfect day, know the range, the rifle, the load, and practice. I personally never have to shoot that far as where I hunt, 50 yards is a average to long shot...

Good shooting.

Wayles -
Would you please confirm the charge that was used? I'd assume that it was a 110 volumetric charge that weighed about 73.4 grains. Nice shooting.
Best regards -
Cob

Corncob said:
Wayles -
Would you please confirm the charge that was used? I'd assume that it was a 110 volumetric charge that weighed about 73.4 grains. Nice shooting.
Best regards -
Cob

My calculations would say he was using a squeak over 150g by Volume:

.72gW x 150gV = 108gW

And yes, I broke down and ordered a case of BH209 :oops: :D :wink:
And I re-sold all but 2 cans to my Buddie's here in Omaha :) 8)

TC-U-View is exactly 1gW lighter than the CVA Brass Measure.

TC-U-View 100gV= 71.5, CVA Brass 100gV= 72.5gW

TC-U-View static cling sucks big time :x

Cob .......that is approximatly right. My old old old brass TC powder measure averaged 79.9 grains weighed when set volumetricly to 110 gr. I actually rounded up to 80 gr.
Wayles

Cayuga
I live in western Nebraska and sometimes the range can be long. The last antelope tag I drew, I got lucky and took a good buck at a lasered 232 yds and a 1 power scope{ cross hairs darn near covered the entire animal at that range.} Used 110 gr. of t7 2f and 200 grain SW and blue sabot. Powered scopes will be leagle for hunting for the first time this year. Shot another antelope several years ago with my old 2 trigger .50 cal renagade at 175 yds and the same 1 power scope useing 100 grains goex black powder and a 360 gr maxie ball. Held on top of his horns and dropped it in. He was looking stright at me. I don't remember how high I had it sighted in for, but I recall the drop to be 18 inches. I'm sure glad they are allowing powered scopes as I am in trifocles now. This is before I got into inlines , Hell it was almost before inlines.
Wayles

Lane
I have been preweighing BH 209 loads and putting them in vials, noticed that the BH 209 seems to have a lot of static to it. I have to really bang them on my funnel to get all the grains out. Relative humidty is real low most of the time in western NE. Rain fall is about 15 in per year. I took a lesson from my wife and used a dryer sheet. It works! Might fix yer powder measure.
Wayles

Latest posts

Back