TC Gray Hawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any info on this rifle. The one I have is stainless and is 54 cal bullets to shoot good or bad rifle

All I can tell you is what I READ about them. I don't own one. But from posts on the rifle most claim an excellent shooting rifle. Some of the things they shoot out of them are maxi ball and roundball. That is about all I can tell you. Good luck with the rifle.

I would love to pick up some of the locks in those rifles.

My father in law has one in .50. Nice rifle. His has not been shot in years, but I believe his is 1:48 twist. Not sure on a .54. His shot Knight factory saboted 260gr speer bullets pretty well, that was all he ever tried in it to my knowledge. I like the fact that its stainless...

I believe the Gray Hawk is the stainless version of the T/C New Englander, both have 1:48twist and came in .50 and .54 caliber. If I'm wrong correct me, but they are just alike except for the stainless finish.

Toytruck you are right they are the same just the finish. I have the NewEnglander, my favorite rifle. I have shot round ball, 240 T/C cheap shots, xtp, Knight red hots, currently shooting powerbelts 245grn and 70 grns Pyrodex .I have shot Goex when I can get it.

Great little rifle, the more you shot them the better they get. :)

The Grey Hawk was the SS and synthetic version of the New Englander. 1-48" twist for both .50 and .54. Wood stocked New Englanders had 2" longer barrels, but the synthetic stocked NE had the same shorter barrel as the GH. NE barrels including the 12bore will swap over. Likewise, the Tree Hawk (camo synthetic) barrels will fit. TH rifled barrels are short and quick twist.

The GH SS lockplates are very soft and will bend rather easily.

My .50 GH never was a good RB shooter, but did very well with 240-270gr in sabots. I found a pristine .54 barrel and it shot PRBs so well that I never experimented with other projectiles in it.

The 12 bore shotgun barrels were made both as a cyl bore, and with choke tubes.

I liked my GH (foul weather hunter) well enough that I later bought the .54 GH barrel, a .50 NE in walnut stock, 12bore choke tube barrel, and then a Tree Hawk with cyl 12 bore barrel(for shooting PRBs).

Well that explains why I never found a Stainless Steel New Englander. I own three New Englanders including a 12 gauge shotgun barrel that fits them (although since getting my Knight TK2000 I have not used the shotgun barrel in years). They are a real meat and potatoes rifle. So I am guessing the Gray Hawk would be the same then. My New Englander shoots round ball, conical, and it shoots powerbelts really well. The 295 grain and 80 grains of 2f black powder. It will really lay powerbelts down range for some reason. But of course powerbelts are too expensive to shoot.

One afternoon I tried 240 grain Hornady XTPs in the smooth MMP black sabot. I think they are a HPH 12 but would not swear to it as they come under a Nosler name. Out to 50 yards, that would have been a deer killing machine. New Englanders, like Renegades and Hawkens are just a real good rifle. Why T/C stopped making them was pure economics, but they always had a customer with me for the traditional rifles.

I preferred the New Englander and Grey Hawk to the Hawken and Renegade. The shape of the stocks makes quite a bit of difference to different shooters. A flint version of the New Englander would have been pure bliss.

excess650 said:
I preferred the New Englander and Grey Hawk to the Hawken and Renegade. The shape of the stocks makes quite a bit of difference to different shooters. A flint version of the New Englander would have been pure bliss.

I agree, a flint lock New Englander would be nice. I have New Englanders with wood and synthetic stocks.. so I guess I have that covered. On is a .50 and the other a .54 caliber. Did they ever make a flint NE?

cayuga said:
I agree, a flint lock New Englander would be nice. I have New Englanders with wood and synthetic stocks.. so I guess I have that covered. On is a .50 and the other a .54 caliber. Did they ever make a flint NE?

No. I have seen pictures of some converted to flint. The right rear of the snail is milled flat, hole plugged, touch hole liner installed, and lock changed.

Latest posts

Back