TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, like the way you have reshaped the lock panels, generally got rid of the factory clunkiness.  Really neat inlays. The finish looks like varnish, but that I think is the limitation of photographs. as you have oil finished her. I have never used turmoil so don't know what it finishes like. 
   A really good job of tricking up a factory rifle. Might you consider going to a fixed rear sight? Ver much like the sling mounts, I purchased a set of j hook sling swivels and webbing a leather sling for my classic English hunting rifle. These J hook sling swivels are like the proverbial rocking hoss poo. Well priced though from Dixie Gun Works. 

cheers 

Gordon

The finish ended up very shiny when I took the pictures because I left the last coat of Tru-oil without knocking it back. I have long since toned it down to a softer sheen. Still like the brass shiny though so I polish it once in a while. I'd probably use a little fowling to dull up the brass if I was ever to use it hunting again but that's more of a pipe dream now.

WOW!  Talk about turning a sow's ear into a silk purse!

WOW what a slick job.I could look at you work all day long.Thanks for sharing :Red tup:

Sorry for the late reply, but I just have to say, Wow! Great job! I am in the middle of fixing up 2 old T/C's. One was a bad kit with the stock destroyed, the other is a .54 cap I'm building from scrounged T/C and Hawken shop parts and a Petonica maple stock. I hope mine turn out half as good as this beauty did. Thanks for posting this.

Latest posts

Back