TC Impact ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Com 45acp

Reaction score
Looking for a muzzle loader for Va. Deer season this year. Are the impacts any good. Walmart has one in weather shield stainless finish with camo stock for $299. Or should I go with a used tc omega in good shape. Would like to keep this to use every year for muzzle loading.
Thanks

Impact is a good rifle. Shoots accurately and is holding up very well. I bought it for my youngest to use for deer hunting. It has a section of the stock which can be removed and fits him nicely.

If u can find an Omega for the right price, I would go that route. You may get better long range accuracy with Omega and, IMO, it may last u longer since the Impact is a budget rifle. Some Omegas require a little tweaking from what I've read, do a search to get all the details.

I just bought an impact and its a nice gun. I got the weather shield black stock with a tc scope for $250 new. I haven't shot it yet I was going to this weekend but I got the joys of spending all weekend in and out of the hospital..... Anyways there are several guys here that have them and like them and guys with the omegas love them also

I never owned either, but if I was gonna buy a muzzleloader in todays market I would seriously look at a Knight or CVA Accura or Optima. TC guns have declined in the past years and the lifetime warranty isn't what it used to be.
If you want to keep the rifle I would consider the CVA's made with nitride, they are guaranteed not to rust inside the bore or outside.

I personally shoot and hunt with Whites with the exception of a CVA Optima pistol. I once was on the TC band wagon, and still have a .54 Renegade, but that's after way more cash than I care to think about. Just a heads up, wish you luck in whatever you decide to buy!

I have the exact rifle you are looking at, and couldn't be happier. While I am ne to MZ shooting, I am far from a novice when it comes to killing animals. It did not take me long, with EXCELLENT guidance from this site, to dial in favorite loads.
I will tell you that the Impact has a VERY snug bore. As such, you will want thin sabots, should you elect to shoot the smaller, (.45, etc.), bullets.
My particular rifle will shoot far better than I, but even I can produce sub-1" 3 shot groups all day, with the right load.
GO FOR IT!

I have an Impact and I love mine. Solid and really accurate. That being said, there are a couple of things I don't like.

1. I have the blued one and you have to keep it oiled inside and out, or you will start to see some surface rust. Very slight rust tint on the barrel, more so on the Allen fasteners, some parts of the action, etc. It also seems to rust inside the barrel no matter what I use during storage. I guess I haven't found the right stuff yet. It's just a light dusting of surface rust, but rust is rust.

2. The rear sight base is mounted to the barrel offset to the right of center (when looking down the barrel from a shooting position). I have to move the rear U-notch to the left almost 3/16" to compensate and shoot straight. I've noticed this on other Impacts as I've picked up and inspected them in stores, even as recently as a few months ago (I bought mine about 4 years ago). I can still shoot straight, but the adjustable rear sight slider (U-notch) is hanging waaay out there past the base; looks goofy. We can't use scopes during the ML season here in Minnesota, but the scope base SEEMS to be installed properly inline.

Other than that, I really do love my Impact. Super accurate, compact and fun to shoot.

Emrah

I am scoped, and stainless, so I am not sure about the above observations, but I would heed them.

emrah

I would have contacted T/C about that surface rust in the very first year of use. Any commercial gun oil that's halfway decent should have prevented rust. Sounds like you have a defective bore.

I have 2 Impacts, one still NIB. The first is blued/camo and has been my primary rifle since I bought them.

With BH 209 it shoots very well. 100gr volume of powder and a 250gr bullet and it has been very good.

I will echo that my Impact gets rust forming at the very end of the rifling despite using BH 209 and cleaning it. My TC Bone Collector which is only 7 months old does the same thing. I have not contacted TC because I've got that one all set up for an elk hunt in mid October and there is no way I want to have it leave me now or get a new barrel before my trip. I will contact them when the trip is over.

I would not wait for making that phone call. Let them know you want it put-on-record that rust is forming and a phone call will show proof it started prior to hunting with it. Earlier-the-better.

Dr. Vette,

Yes! That's exactly where mine rusts, right at the end of the rifling where the QLA section begins.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleSe7en said:
I would not wait for making that phone call. Let them know you want it put-on-record that rust is forming and a phone call will show proof it started prior to hunting with it. Earlier-the-better.

Good thought, especially since the Bone Collector is new.

emrah said:
Dr. Vette,

Yes! That's exactly where mine rusts, right at the end of the rifling where the QLA section begins.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. I can remove the rust, but I hate to over-oil the barrel and then have to remove it before I shoot a week later.
I often use a stainless steel scrubber to remove the rust. I can't recall the name right now, but I have a couple of them and they work quite well.

I saw the rust issues in the store on the blued models when I bought our weather shield Impact. No issues with rust in the bore. I wonder if something in the bluing process.

Decided to go with the all camo TC Omega that CoHiCntry has for sale in classified.
What will I need to shoot BH 209 thru it.

Some sabot made for tight barrels, such as the crush rib.

Some bullets.

Some primers.
In my Omega(s) i like to use the W209 primers just because they are normally the longest. The longer primer fits tighter, and helps make for less blow by.

Thanks guys. Guess it's not gonna happen now. Someone else bought it before I sent the money.

Com 45acp said:
Thanks guys. Guess it's not gonna happen now. Someone else bought it before I sent the money.

sorry, that was me, someone bought his mountaineer right before I was able to, if that makes you feel any better. I have a TC impact blued barrel, its a solid shooter, I just cleaned the rust out of the end of the bore the other day.

Back