TC ImpactSB Breech Plug Problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have been a traditional muzzleloader for 40 years, shooting both sidelocks and flintlocks. I bought an inline this spring to see what they are all about and got a TC ImpactSB .50 since I have always had good luck with previous TC muzzleloaders, and the price was right.
I'm using T7 powder (80-105 grs. tested so far) and CCI 209 primers. It shoots some full diameter conicals well, others are miserable. The problem I'm having is the breech plug locks up after 4-5 shots. The first time I shot it I was not aware this would happen and put about 15 rounds through it. Eventually I had to soak the breech in Kroil overnight and use leather wrapped vice grips to get the plug loose. The breech plug wrench TC sends with the rifle is pretty light weight and not much use when the plug is stuck that tight. I called customer support at TC and they said I would have to return the rifle to them to investigate what's going on. Not likely just before ml season here in Colorado.
I've tried several different anti seize lubes on the threads, and just plain wheel bearing grease and ballistol, all with negative results. The front of the breech plug does not seal to the back of the barrel at the start of the rifling, and the unthreaded front portion of the breech plug packs solid with fouling, as the first 3 rows of threads do from the back pressure.
I checked how tight the plug was by hand after every shot for a while, and I found that I have to remove and clean the breech plug after every 4 shots to keep it from seizing. Is this normal? Is this an issue with the T7 powder? I haven't had a chance to try other powders yet. I here others have used teflon tape on the threads. Thanks for any help.

I have been using triple 7 in my CVA Optima V2 pistol. I noticed the same thing. I lube my breech plug with lithium grease and it seems that after 6 or 8 shots, I can't unscrew the breech plug by hand. I have had to use the breech plug wrench.
Lately, I remove the breech plug after 3 shots, regrease and reinstall.
I never had any problems with real black powder.

If one wraps the breech plug with teflon tape it helps keep it from sticking, but one needs to do more. Before installing the plug put some light oil on the tape. This helps, but it is not enough. A water based lube may work better than a petroleum lube.

After shooting the rifle using the 777 powder, really soak the first cleaning patch with the black powder solvent of one's choice. Push the soaked patch down to the breech plug. Elevate the muzzle, and leave for a bit. If there is enough solvent it will soak through the 777 deposit, and loosen the plug some, allowing for an easier removal. Using a 6 point socket, and a 3/8" ratchet helps.

If this advice doesn't help; keep in mind this shooter has never shot an Impact. These tips do help one remove an Omega breech plug, without duress, but the Omega plug doesn't have the fast threads of the Impact plug.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try the teflon tape when I shoot this afternoon. The Impact SB breech plug is different than the old Impact. Instead of a hex nut on the back end, it is smooth with 2 holes for prongs from the stamped sheet metal wrench provided to fit into. Excessive force just bends the wrench. Too bad the breech plug doesn't seal to the barrel. Manufacturing expediency not having to fit it? After hunting season I will try other powders, maybe do a chamber casting to see if a thin washer is feasible.

Latest posts

Back