TC Omega .50 cal bullet search

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRS244

Reaction score
Trying to figure out where to start with bullets for my Omega. Any advice on brand and grains to start my search would be appreciated. I plan on using pellets to begin, maybe try powder later but not now. I hunt eastern (Virginia) woods. Farthest shot is about 100 yards on a good day, most within 30 yards.

Let me know what works for you.

cva power belts worked in a inline t/c thunderhawk pretty dam good

I would start with Hornady XTP, either the 44cal/240gr with a Harvester green CR sabot or the 45cal/300gr with a Harvester black CR sabot. You can get the XTPs in boxes of 100 and buy two 50 packs of Havester sabots. That will give you an effective hunting load and you can still use them at the range to get familiar with the gun without breaking the bank.

I am guessing you are new with MLs. If that is the case, understand MLs are NOT a simple "load two pellets and your bullet/sabot combo and start hunting" kind of firearm. You need to spend time at the range.

Last edited:
Yes, XTP, Deep Curls, Barnes 290, and Lehigh Bloodlines are what I have shot out of mine. Currently using the bloodlines, pretty amazing terminal performance. My Omegas shoot good with about anything I stuff in em between 240-300gr, using around 100gr v powder (currently BH209).

DRS244.
May I suggest you choose a projectile and powder that is available to you. Then start with a moderate load of powder and shoot some groups. Add or subtract powder by 3-5 grains until you get the accuracy you are satisfied with. I think any well placed projectile will kill deer. Some maybe better than others but the end result is the same. Hitting what your aiming at is is more important than what you hit it with. IMHO

I was hoping you would say that...I have plenty of them to try out. The Optima V2 rifle and pistol sure like them!
The wife an I have had some serious health issues this past couple years, but better now. Hope to get back to the range
in the spring!
Hoping your both on the mend

I only make one load now: Barnes SpitFire T-EZ 290gr flat base, 77gr BH 209 weighed, CCI 209 M primer.
Well, I do change the primer to 209 WIN for my NEF SideKick.

A friend of mine uses the 240gr XTP’s with the green Harvester sabots with great results. If I remember correctly, he uses 90 or 100 grains of Blackhorn, by volume.
I’d like to suggest that if you’re going to eventually use powder that you might as well start with powder. I can’t recommend Blackhorn 209 enough for doing exactly that.
Good luck with your load development and enjoy your Omega!

Last edited:
Back