Tc triumph grouping issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahunter87

Reaction score
Went to the range yesterday to sight gun in for season. Only difference was I switched to the cci209 magnum primers. Shooting 70gr weighed of bh209 with barnes tez 250 with supplied sabot. Last ur took 2 shots and was done. This yr everything is off. Any advice/suggestions. After initial shot I ran a bore snake down the barrel between shots and waited 5 mins between shots for barrel to cool

Have you checked to make sure nothing has come loose? Scope or scope mount. Especially check the forend screws that they are nice and tight. What about the breach plug? Nice and clean with no carbon buildup?

If your doing everything the exact same as last year and you haven't dropped your gun and knocked scope off then maybe it doesn't like the new primers which is unlikely but maybe. As stated check all screws for tightness and carbon buildup in plug.. Loading pressure the same w/ BH need to try to be consistent with seating pressure.
You will need to act like your starting totally over if none of these are the problem and work your load up again.

Yes clean breech plug when started.could constantly see thru the fire channel while sighting in. I tried moving the scope with my hand while at the range and it wouldn't move. Pretty sure I was constant on seating bullet and powder.

dbowling said:
If your doing everything the exact same as last year and you haven't dropped your gun and knocked scope off then maybe it doesn't like the new primers which is unlikely but maybe. As stated check all screws for tightness and carbon buildup in plug.. Loading pressure the same w/ BH need to try to be consistent with seating pressure.
You will need to act like your starting totally over if none of these are the problem and work your load up again.

Any suggestions on what grain charge to start back out with?

Maybe start at 90 gr by volume and work up in 5 gr increments, load shot good last year no reason it shouldn't again unless you bought new bullets/sabots and like stated fit is a bit different but again not very likely.
We can talk about it on here forever but you would be better off to go out and work up your load after you have checked everything suggested. As long as you can shoot your gun will always have a load it will shoot accurately, especially if you already had one to begin with.

iahunter87 said:
dbowling said:

Any suggestions on what grain charge to start back out with?

During many years of shooting TC rifles and BH with different primers, I always settled on the CCI209M. Changing primers at times changed the POI but never the groups. However, check your flash hole and determine if its gas cut and to large. Once they start to enlarge, groups go south.

First check all the equipment as recommended above. Then if it were me, I'd increase the charge up to 110grs VOLUME, or 77grs by weight. TC's like 110grs volume of BH in general.

ENCORE50A said:
During many years of shooting TC rifles and BH with different primers, I always settled on the CCI209M. Changing primers at times changed the POI but never the groups. However, check your flash hole and determine if its gas cut and to large. Once they start to enlarge, groups go south.

First check all the equipment as recommended above. Then if it were me, I'd increase the charge up to 110grs VOLUME, or 77grs by weight. TC's like 110grs volume of BH in general.

Just got back from range... Gun is back on shot a 65 grs weight charge and it liked it. It also liked a 77 grs charge. Going to play around with the 77 grs by weight charge next yr. Maybe try a different sabot to tighten up the group.. thankd for all the help

iahunter87 said:
ENCORE50A said:

Just got back from range... Gun is back on shot a 65 grs weight charge and it liked it. It also liked a 77 grs charge. Going to play around with the 77 grs by weight charge next yr. Maybe try a different sabot to tighten up the group.. thankd for all the help

Good job! Don't forget to keep an eye on that flash hole diameter down the road.

Good you got it working.

Just curious but when you cleaned the Flash Channel (Larger hole under primer but before the small flash hole) Did you clean it out with a Drill bit? BH will carbon them up fast and the carbon can even look like the same steel the BP is made of?

ShawnT said:
Good you got it working.

Just curious but when you cleaned the Flash Channel (Larger hole under primer but before the small flash hole) Did you clean it out with a Drill bit? BH will carbon them up fast and the carbon can even look like the same steel the BP is made of?

I had ran the correct size drill bit down the flash channel after season was over. So flash channel was nice and clean before I went to the range

I tried CCI magnum primers once - got 2 no fires in the first 5 shots (with dents on the primer). I switched to Federals after that.

I have 3 QT breech plugs and sent each one into Western Powders who drilled the flash hole out to their recommended .032”.

I use a .032” bit for that flash hole and an 1/8” bit for the flash channel. Each has a nylon bushing epoxied on the end to use for a better grip.

I tried CCI magnum primers once - got 2 no fires in the first 5 shots (with dents on the primer). I switched to Federals after that.

I have 3 QT breech plugs and sent each one into Western Powders who drilled the flash hole out to their recommended .032”.

I use a .032” bit for that flash hole and an 1/8” bit for the flash channel. Each has a nylon bushing epoxied on the end to use for a better grip.
I understand they drilled it to .032”, but whats the original size flash hole? Are you taking about Breech # 7729? Thank you

Last edited:
I understand they drilled it to .032”, but whats the original size flash hole? Are you taking about Breech # 7729? Thank you

Yes, that’s the breech plug.

I believe the original TC flash hole was somewhere around .026”.

Back