Tradition Purisit G4 Issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, awhile ago I asked for advice on what load to try with my brother-in-law's Traditions Purist G4 ML. I got a few suggestions which I tried. I bought some CCI 209 Magnum primers, BH209, and a package of Barnes 250gr TEZ with the blue sabots. All I can say my shots were all over the place and the crude around the breech plug with both the CCI and 777 Primers was unreal! I couldn't get over the amount.

Anyway, I tried 5 shots of 100gr of BH209. I experienced two delayed ignitions. I don't know if the standard Traditions plug is BH209 compatible? Plus I noticed quite a few of the Blue Barnes sabots the petals were blown off the base and were laying on the ground about 10 yds from the muzzle?? I tried the 100gr 777 pellets that my brother-in-law bought with the rifle and the Hornady 250gr SST bullets. I could feel a couple of the pellets crushed as I seated the bullets and may explain some of the issues, but the crud ring was unreal. One time I had to undo the Breechplug in order to be able to push the patch out. I just could not get this rifle to shoot anything accurately. At the targets below which I'm ashamed to post was shot at 75yds using a Leupold Vari X III 3 or 3.5 to 10X scope. These targets were shot using the 10X setting.

Next week I’m going to try 80gr of Swiss 2F, 70gr of Swiss 3F, 70gr of 777-3F loose powder. These loads have always proved to be winners with my 451 White's shooting 345gr bullets. Wonder if I should increase the charge being I'll be shooting 250gr saboted bullets? Any suggestions??? I may even try Pryodex P to see if the groups improve. I've never been so frustrated in sighting in an ML as I was today.
All I know is I can’t wait to get rid of this rifle and start spending time on my own rifles. target 1.jpgTarget 2.jpgTarget 3.jpg

The only time I had a problem with BH209 from a Traditions rifle was with Win 209 primers but that was before I knew to clean the breechplug with a proper sized drill bit. You shouldn’t have to do it very often, certainly not after every shot.

Not sure if they would fit but I could send you acouple of the rubber O rings to try if ya want. They sure keep my Omega bp's clean.

Ed are you using 777 primers if so don't believe they are recommended for bh209. Are you using very firm pressure when seating sabot? 100 gr bh209 should be plenty.

I'm assuming that the bullet diameters that you've tried thus far are .451-.452 ? Have you tried any in .429-.430 ? I'd also boot the charges up to the 100 grain measured area and work up from there when doing saboted bullets

Dean, I was using CCI Magnum primers and a 100 charge of BH209 or Two 50gr 777 pellets. I’m going to try 777 loose and Swiss 2F next time and see what happens. Then the rifle goes back to my brother-in-law and I’ll wish him luck. He’s not one to spend a lot of time, money etc to get it to shoot.

Sorry Ed misunderstood your post then. Pellets are a crap shoot in some guns they shoot great in others not so much, all of the old T/C inline guns I had shot pyrodex pellets very well. I bet you will have better luck with loose 777.

🤞I’m not going to spend much more time on it. If I at least see it’s grouping with either 777 or Swiss 2F I’ll tell him to try 300gr bullets.

Back