test media

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What should be used to test bullet expantion and penatration in the off season?. Are there any house hold materials that can be used that will react like a deers body?

Are there any house hold materials that can be used that will react like a deers body?

:shock: Could be, guess it depends who's house you look in! :shock:

offroad,
I did some testing this fall using wet newspapers stacked in a 6 gallon bucket. I had soaked the newspapers in water overnight before placing them in the bucket. I shot the 250 gr SST and 250 gr BSW into this at 50 yards.

We recovered one 250 gr BSW from a deer that was shot at about 100 yards. It had also flattened out and looked very much like the one shot into the wet newspaper with weight retention being just slightly less. It had hit the spine so some weight likely was lost there.

This is not highly scientific but, may not be too far from the real thing.

DaveM

Perma Gel

Ballistic-gel.jpg

Fill a 5 gal. plastic pail with newspapers, packed tight, and soak with water overnight. It's about as good as you will get, unless, you can get some deer to volunteer! Where I live in upstate NY, farmers can get permits to shoot as many as 20 deer on their farm during the summer. If you can find one, you can do a lot of testing before the season.

Latest posts

Back