Testing some powder coated bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, pure lead. The are sort of a copy of a Lee Real bullet. [banded ones]

Then powder coated and cooked at 400 degrees for 20 min. [shake and bake]

The paint is the lube.

You Tube has the powder coating directions.

For some reason the powder coating keeps the fowling softer and easier to reload. Very strange!

I will try 3F Goex next, 90 and 100 grains. ...and check some speeds.

Just cast and coated about 60 more.

Good topic BCS. I work a lot with powder paint in my tackle making and see the benefits of powder coating a lot. Are you spraying the powder to achieve uniform coverage?

Shake for 2 min in a #5 small plastic shoe box with a hand full of air soft pellets, then shake and sift thru a strainer.

400 degrees for 20 min. in a toaster oven.

They coat very evenly

That's the same method I use but don't use air soft pellets, just the bullets. With my CF rifle and handgun bullets I can coat 100+ at a time. I put them in a single layer on a tray lined with stick free aluminum foil. After the 20 mins of baking I drop the tray in a bucket of water then pick out the bullets and set them on a towel to dry.

Geez I hope I get better grouping with my .501" 440 gr Lee mold than that. I just bought it and cast a bunch of bullets. Haven't shot any yet. I have mine lubed at present. IdahoRon paper patches these and has been shooting them for years in his 1:28 Hawken.

View attachment 36082
My light weight carbine, 7/8" x 27" Dehass 50 cal with a 1-30 twist.
View attachment 36083
The banded bullets are from an adjustable mold.
Powder coated with Eastwood Ford Light Blue.
View attachment 36084
7,8,9 all shot with no cleaning.
I know i must have been infected on those Under-Hammer rifles. Sure like this one of yours. I am sure i am going to make another complete build not just another change out barrel.

Latest posts

Back