Thanksgiving Muley

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
Took this muley last Wednesday in a late season draw in Idaho. The shot was right about 100 yards. A doe was standing right in front of him, but most of his chest was exposed. It was all good, as long as I didn't miss low. But I found a stable shooting position, and the shot felt good, so I took it. And, I'd passed on a shot at a lot bigger buck, when the shot didn't feel right, so that really is something I hold to. It's not a flexible value based on size of the game, or time left to hunt. Anyway, the particulars are 54 cal MK-85 variant, 405 grain lead powerbelt, and 105 grains of pyrodex select. It center-punched the rib cage going in, and exited the off shoulder. At the shot, he slid backwards about 30 yards to the bottom of the draw and was completely done when I got there. I've heard some disparaging comments about PB's, but I could not have asked for better performance. The exit wound through the off shoulder was about 3x caliber, and I didn't see any lead fragments. Couldn't have been more DRT with an '06.
Anyway, its a Thanksgiving muley, even though the tag was punched the day before, because my brother and nephews came to help me pack it out on Thanksgiving. Now that's something to be thankful for.

Attachments

• PB261030 - Copy.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 251
8) Well done!! I have killed four deer with powerbelts when they first came out, but the HP didn't exit and I had to shoot a 8 pt. again to finish him off so I never hunted with them again.

Looks like some great tracking snow there, helps with the drag out as well.

Latest posts

Back