The 100 yard question and Blackhorn 209 Issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Start off by saying this...I am not impressed with the blackhorn 209 hang fire problems...seems that after gun loaded for a few days always have hang fire...!!!

100 yard question...Why you shoot a gun at 25....get it on go to 50 get it on...go to 75 get it on then go to 100 and sight it in then only come back to 25 and 50 and it be 8 inches low...Any suggestions...thanks

only after being loaded for a few days...several guys having same problem at deer camp

zero

Ive never heard of goin from 25 to 50 then to 75. If mines on at 25 its on paper at 100. Have ya got something loose?

Sorry, can't help with Genesis. Have only used knights with BH209.

What Primer are you using as well might be that it is just not hot enough or it is picking up mositure and causing it to hang fire but it might also me a primer issue.

Just a thought...

LFM

I shot BlackHorn in my Genesis and had no hangfires at all. I was shooting a Winchester W209 primer. It is recommended not to use Kleenbore Remington or Winchester Triple Se7en primers. Which primers were you shooting?

Also I am guessing you are scoped? If so and you sighted the rifle is at What Distance.. 100 yards. I can not understand how it can be that much low. I really have no answer for you. My scope mounts are coming soon. I will throw a scope on and shoot it at 100 yards and see what mine does.

What powder charge and bullet are you shooting?

I've shot a container of BH in my Genesis and have left it loaded for 16 days at one point and have never had a hangfire, so my only thought is maybe there was too much oil when you stored it or perhaps the BP wasn't clean. What primers are you using?

As for the accuracy, you might want to check the scope or mounts. That's a lot of difference.

CCI M

I am taking it to the range this weekend to see what is going on..

I am shooting shockwave 250

The BH 209 is good at the range no hang fire just some home getting moisture being loaded and stored...

We shall see....will check mounts later tonight.

hang fire

Someone had mentioned perhaps going in and out of the cold could create Condensation ? I beleive that

hangfire

Howdy A few things you can try: make sure the load is compacted tight, put electrical tape or scotch tape over the barrel, keep a spent primer in the nipple when not hunting.[ paint it red with your wifes finger nail polish so there is no mistake] and as the others said try to avoid temp changes. Pull your breech plug and dry clean it after fouling your barrel. If that fails fire it at night or pull the charge and reload in the morning. If you see the monster it will be worth the extra effort.
Wayles

If you are heading to the range this weekend, you can load it now and see how it acts when you shoot.

During my elk hunt a few weeks ago, I loaded my Omega on Saturday and fired it the same day as it rained 4". It went bang as expected. I reloaded the same evening and carried it till Tuesday. Temps varried from 20?F to 60?. The gun was on my shoulder or in my tent the entire time. Tuesday I emptied it at a rock that was 175 yards away and the POI was exactly where I expected it to go.

only time I had a hangfire in my genesis was when I first went to bh209 and tried using my triple7 primers for 2 shots. bh209 is to be used with only shotshell 209's. after that I changed to shotshell 209's and no problems. moisture shouldnt be an issue as this powder doesn't absorb it as fast as others do, from what i've read. bh209 is a little expencive, but it does load easier and clean up nice.

I'm using 90grs. with 300gr litefeilds salbot. 50yrd. three shot groups are 2 inch high and 1.5 inch spred. open sights and bench rested.

as for why your so low when you move back to 50 I cant tell you?

Just finished 10 days of hunting with BH
in Maryland (easten shore)
Always plenty of humidity!
Gun stayed charged the entire time.
Every shot was crisp (app. 10, between deer and range)
Winchester 209 primers.
I did ream the flash channel after 4 or 5 shots to make sure it stayed clear of carbon.
I load on a bone dry barrel!

So that there is no confusion, I loaded on a dry barrel initially, shot 3 fouling shots and evey reload the barrel was not swabbed.

I sat in a driving rain without my umbrella for 2 days last week with my encore loaded with bh209...shot it at the end of the couple of days and yep it still went bang:)

even forgot to tape the end of the barrel the second day and still no problems with condensation although the breech area was wet when I broke it open

this is what it looked like when it finally dried up some

1024081716a.jpg

1017081643a.jpg

I found that if the carbon builds up in the channel behind the primer of my breech plug it casues what you are describing. Clean it out and no more problem.

If you are having hang fires and also shots that are low, it would sound like you are not getting enough flame to the charge. Even with the hot primer if the flame channel is restricted from carbon, dirt, moisture, or a combination, is seems to reason that you would have hangfires and the low shots may be from poor ignition or the entire powder charge did not burn. I would start by looking at the breech plug and make sure that the channel behind the primer is clear of carbon. On a lot of the knight breech plugs we are using an 1/8" drill bit rotated by hand to remove the carbon.

As far as condensation, I never take my muzzleloader in the house/cabin after hunting if it is still charged. Going from the cold or cold damp into a warm area will generate condensation. You can see it on your scope lenses so stands to reason it would accumulate in the rifle. I always uncap mine and leave it on the truck/car seat overnight.

ShawnT

Back