The 52 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite spendy on ebay 😙. I will keep looking through my stuff. Mike ( sabotloader might have one also. I know he used to
2FEE2239-A670-4EE3-8775-97EA97042BB8.png

Couldn't you damage that "stem" buy loading a light charge and ramming the bullet down too hard? I like to "seat the bullet firmly on the powder charge" ( otherwise you have a bomb) and I would be a bit concerned doing this with the "stem" breech plug. As someone said,
"A lot of these newer guns are designed to handle magnum charges of 150gns but that doesn't mean that's where they perform the best."
Deleted..... decided not to offer this info 😀

Last edited:
I believe these stems were designed for the higher charges, at some point the stem would be sticking out past the powder.

Deleted..... decided not to offer this info 😀
Got a feeling I may get someone upset/ pissed off but here goes nothing!
Please explain how's it works. Is the "flash" hole in the end or on the sides? I like the idea of igniting the powder from the front of the charge but if it's made for a 150 grain load and 100 grains works better... If the hole is in the end of the plug and you run a plastic sabot down on it wouldn't that plug the hole?
Maybe these questions seem stupid to some of you but I don't know the answers so therefore, to me, they are not. I am however willing to listen to any theories or facts, as long as I can learn something here. However, my ignorance should never be misinterpreted as stupidity.

Got a feeling I may get someone upset/ pissed off but here goes nothing!
Please explain how's it works. Is the "flash" hole in the end or on the sides? I like the idea of igniting the powder from the front of the charge but if it's made for a 150 grain load and 100 grains works better... If the hole is in the end of the plug and you run a plastic sabot down on it wouldn't that plug the hole?
Maybe these questions seem stupid to some of you but I don't know the answers so therefore, to me, they are not. I am however willing to listen to any theories or facts, as long as I can learn something here. However, my ignorance should never be misinterpreted as stupidity.
Better photo You can see the flash hole . The stem is 1 1/2" long . If I remember right it took about 95 gr powder in a 50 cal to fill the length of the stem. Dont quote me on that, been to many years and teeth and memory weaken with age. Which is why i deleted all that i originally said on the powder volume

s62CD1CA8-E9AF-4F0B-8270-BB0421B7116A.jpeg

Better photo You can see the flash hole . The stem is 1 1/2" long . If I remember right it took about 95 gr powder in a 50 cal to fill the length of the stem. Dont quite me on that, been to many years and teeth and memory weaken with age. Which is why i deleted all that i originally said on the powder volume

sView attachment 13122
Thank you, this answers at lest some of my questions.

If I understand this correctly the improvement comes from increasing the rate of twist. ( the stemmed breech plug is no longer made so that is mutt ) So the same or similar improvement could be made by taking any existing .50 caliber production rifles and just increasing the twist so heavier bullets could be used. Heavier bullets have a better ballistic coefficient so more energy downrange.

My guess is the reason they went to a .52 was so they could sell sabot and bullet specific supplies at increased prices. They knew if they went to a .50 with increased twist the market would quickly supply the proper bullets/sabot combinations and they would be selling the gun only.

What is clear to me there is a market for .50 with increased twist rates.

IMHO

I remember just after meeting Knight at the 1st in-line match at Friendship in 2013. I asked Gordy what they offered. 45-1:30, 50-1:28, 52-1:26; I remember chuckling and stating - your going the wrong way with twist - the bigger the slower. But, I told him the fast 52 ought to shoot a conical very well.. FF a year or so after making a bullet mold, I won the State match they held as well a dropping a doe with a frontal shot at 218yds- great memories with it.
4702AEDE-CF2D-40A7-8175-F44C251391E4.jpeg
7BF3E971-E41A-4477-AE0D-17FAE8FAFA88.jpeg
2AA298FC-A0F1-4F16-A975-7C6A5F6BE910.jpeg
812D5756-9863-4BE9-9592-F45D56F2F7B1.jpeg

The old 375gr bullet Knight offered with the 52cal is too long for the 1-28. Its even borderline for the 1-26. They really should have used a 1-24 for the 52cal since its intention was to shoot heavy long bullets in sabots. The old 375gr was over 1.2" long.

I remember just after meeting Knight at the 1st in-line match at Friendship in 2013. I asked Gordy what they offered. 45-1:30, 50-1:28, 52-1:26; I remember chuckling and stating - your going the wrong way with twist - the bigger the slower. But, I told him the fast 52 ought to shoot a conical very well.. FF a year or so after making a bullet mold, I won the State match they held as well a dropping a doe with a frontal shot at 218yds- great memories with it.
View attachment 13134
View attachment 13136
View attachment 13135
View attachment 13137
Wow! That's one hell of a hole! Did you get much meat from that side of the deer? Almost looks like "Too much gun" (Rooster Cogburn)

Now I want a .50 with a quicker twist. Able to shoot a projectile big enough to see it on the way to the target.

Impressive 52bore.

Ive shot 600 gr No Excuse in mine and they shot good, never worked up a really good load just shot 3 or 4 with 70 gr of Swiss to see if they would shoot decent and they did.

Looking for a 47 caliber with a 1 in 21 twist.
Never will understand what is spose to be so magic about 52 caliber.

Latest posts

Back