The 52 cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
Since the subject of the 52 cal came up on another thread i figured i would mention it here .
many seem to oppose the 52 without really knowing anything about it . Here is an article by Toby ( i am not a fan of his for the record😀) but It contains some good ballistic info.
Also Tony knight often proclaimed the 52 as his favorite. Yes it is limited in projectiles but it definitely has a place in the market for many hunting situations, especially for large game or open spaces. My only regret was selling my 52 mountaineer instead of the 52 BigHorn.

http://www.namlhunt.com/knight52caliber.html

12ADCB00-8111-4E40-BEB9-6F29AAA7D669.png

Good stuff on th 52 !

Toby gets beat up slot but with 50 plus years of shooting just about every muzzleloader produced in modern times and even a lot of the antiques he is a wealth of information.

That’s interesting. I always thought 150 grain charges of loose powder was just a waste of powder. If I read that correctly he got higher velocity from a 130 grain charge.

Good stuff on th 52 !

Toby gets beat up slot but with 50 plus years of shooting just about every muzzleloader produced in modern times and even a lot of the antiques he is a wealth of information.
Yes for sure. He gets beat up a lot cause he has a tendency to get sideways with some of the companies that sponsor him . But like you said lots of good info

He make it quite clear in his articles who sponsors him and who don't or doesn't anymore.
Yea. I remember his falling out with the new Knight 😂 ...that got ugly . But i have a lot of respect for the time and effort he puts into his testing. Even if his relationship with a sponsor sometimes taints the attitude the numbers don't lie. The results are usually accurate.

E
I read the same thing. A lot of these newer guns are designed to handle magnum charges of 150gns but that doesn't mean that's where they perform the best.
Exactly.. and for the 52 i think while the barnes bullets are great performers all a person needs is a good mould and cast up some 530 + gr bullets and you are good to go after anything you want at whatever distance your abilities allow.

Is that breech plug made for other Knight rifles???? The stem makes a lot of sense. Maybe Badger needs to make some.
Limitations on it was no pellets, loose powder only and no blackhorn . I think many changed the plug just so they could shoot blackhorn .

Love my 52 guns, i am putting together a short version, bestill has an extreme barrel of mine now cutting it down.i am going to put it in an ultra lite stock .i have killed quite a few deer with the 52, very accurate and hits hard with 110 grains 777 and Hornady 325 ftx . I didn’t hunt with one this year because i got addicted to the 45 fast twist, back at it next season for sure. to be honest, that tb article is why i tried one , plus the guy at knight told me I would love it. he was right.great caliber for sure, the 26 twist also

I usually like a shorter gun or carbine for hunting, can't wait to hear about your when its completed dwm.

I shoot the dirty 7 so im good. If anyone knows where I could pick up a plug like that I would be pleased if you would let me know. It just makes so much more sense to ignite the charge as near to the bullet as possible. Because now your pushing the bullet instead of the powder that remains to be burned. That should increase velocity. May have a positive affect on the crud ring.

I shoot the dirty 7 so im good. If anyone knows where I could pick up a plug like that I would be pleased if you would let me know. It just makes so much more sense to ignite the charge as near to the bullet as possible. Because now your pushing the bullet instead of the powder that remains to be burned. That should increase velocity. May have a positive affect on the crud ring.
I should have one somewhere. Will see if i can find it .

Couldn't you damage that "stem" buy loading a light charge and ramming the bullet down too hard? I like to "seat the bullet firmly on the powder charge" ( otherwise you have a bomb) and I would be a bit concerned doing this with the "stem" breech plug. As someone said,
"A lot of these newer guns are designed to handle magnum charges of 150gns but that doesn't mean that's where they perform the best."

It is discontinued . I didnt see one but will keep looking through my stuff. If i come across one i will let you know 5A346671-11B7-46C0-ABE9-EC19A50FA0B8.png

Latest posts

Back