The deer are finnally moving here in Ma.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
Second bow buck of the season. I took one a month ago and havent seen much since. Last evening there were deer all around me. After I took this one I had another buck come blasting through chasing a bunch of does.
100_2920.jpg

100_2926.jpg

100_2934-1.jpg

Nice buck!!! I give ya 2 thumbs up! :lol: 8)

:yeah: :yeah:

How did ya do it? Can ya tell us about your setup? Looks like you shoot a Mathews :lol:

Doohan said:
Nice buck!!! I give ya 2 thumbs up! :lol: 8)

How did ya do it? Can ya tell us about your setup? Looks like you shoot a Mathews :lol:
It's a 2003 model Mathews LX set at 30" draw 70#, Easton 2315 Super Slams tipped with 100gr Wasp Boss broadheads. I have used it for 3 seasons now and this was my first season scoring with it (lots of missing). I'm not very happy with the way it shoots. I traded the MQ1 in towards the LX and I have to say the MQ1 blew the LX away. When I get a little extra dough I will upgrade to the Switchback. I have heard nothing but good coments about it.
Anyway heres the story.
I went to sit in a stand where I had seen a decent buck the evening before. When I went in I laid a scent trail all around my hunting area right to my stand. I settled in and about 5 minutes later I did a little calling. 15 minutes later I heard a noise behine me. I looked back and nothing there. I heard it again and looked back again and there he was 20 yards behind me spooky as hell and ready to bolt. After what seemed like forever I got the chance to stand and turn. When he put his head behind a tree at 18 yards I drew back, picked the spot and hit the trigger. He almost ducked the arrow but I caught him in the spine and dropped him in his tracks. As he thrashed around with his front legs I tried to get another one in him but he got bihind the cover of a pine. While giving him some time I called my wife and told her I got one then called a friend and told him and asked for a hand draging. Just then I had to turn the phone off. I had several does coming in in front of me and all of a sudden they bolted. There was another buck chasing them, the one I had seen the evening before. They all heard the downed buck thrashing his hoves and came in to investigate. I counted the 1 buck and 7 does in front of me. I had 2 does step into openings within 20 yards but decided to wait for the buck to come in. I was rattled big time by all the excitement. I finnally had him in an opening at 25 yards. I drew back, put the pin on him and I decided I couldnt do it. I let down. I realized I had no buck tags left but had 4 doe tags. We are allowed 2 bucks here in Ma. I then decided to take a doe which would be 100% legal. As luck would have it none of the does would step into an opening now that I was willing to take one. Oh well! Thats what I get for being greedy. There are plenty of guys who would have let an arrow fly on the second buck but now me. First of all I have never taken 2 bucks in a season and never had to worry about having enough buck tags and second of all if I did it I know I would get caught. Thats my luck. I would hate to turn one of my best evenings in the deer woods to my most shamefull :oops: . Anyway I am so happy with this buck. He may not be much but he is my best buck ever, bow, gun or muzzleloader. I hope every one out there has a safe, sucussfull and fun hunting season.
Good luck to all.
Frank

I forgot to mention, when I got down out of the stand. I went over to finish of the buck. The deer lunged at me. He was kicking away and pointing his antlers at me. I almost droped the bow and ran off like a chicken. I let one fly at 5 yards and missed completely. Knocked another one, aimed higher and that did it. I hate to watch the gory part of hunting. I like it when you make the shot, they run just out of sight, you wait your half hour and when you get to the deer it's already over.
Frank

Nice Ma bucks!

Franksauto,

Thats a nice eastern Ma buck right there. Good job and congrats! 2 in one season for Ma is doing quite nice. We're lucky to take one a year in our areas. What part of Eastern Ma are you hunting?? We are in and around the Southboro area. Here is my early season archery deer from Oct 19th. 195# dressed. Its always nice to see some Ma deer on forums, we dont see many of them.
deer2006.jpg

mdab27,
Thats a beauty! Your right it is tough out here. Any deer with a bow is a good deer out this way. I hunt public land in Gloucester and privete properties in Essex, Ipwsich, Hamilton & Wenham. They are actually all one property it just covers 4 towns. I am very lucky to be on this property but for some reason there is very little deer activity there. There is no pressure on the deer and 3 years ago this property was absolutly loaded with deer. Shotgun season opens Monday and I will give it a try. Actually I will be hunting with the muzzleloader. I had a blast with it last year. I hunted all shotgun season using it and took 3 deer. First deer I had ever taken with a ml. It took 4 seasons to score with it. Hopefully I can take some down this season.
Good luck
Frank

Latest posts

Back