The Experiment Continues - 50 cal. Sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have been spending more time hunting than continuing my sabotless experiment... But, I am ready to post about the latest experiment.

As some already know, I have done basically the same experiment using Barnes XPB 50 cal. bullets, both the 275 grain and the 325 grain. Somewhere near the first of the month I contacted Lehigh Dave about trying the same thing with some of his brass 50 cal bullets. This is the description of the bullet he has available:

The 500-200 was designed to provide advanced terminal performance for the new .500 cartridges including the .500 Cyrus, .500 S&W(Encore rifle), and .50 Beowulf. The strong nose design and DOA technology provides incredible stopping power and exceptional penetration. Please note the ATF regulations specify this bullet can only be used in a rifle. Weight - 350 grains BC (calculated) - 0.136 Length - 0.950 Design velocity - 1,200-2,600 Material - UNSC36000 brass Sold in a packages of 50 at $70.00/box.

I asked Dave about the bullet and the velocities it would work at. I was somewhat concerned about the calculated BC of the bullet but then again for me this bullet is for open sights and the max range for me will be 150-175 yards and 200 yards with a scope.

When I received the bullets the first thing I did was to try the stock bullet in all of my 50 cal. Knight bores. I was somewhat disappointed because the bullet would drop right to the face of the breech plug when set in any of the muzzles. Since they are solid brass I was not sure that I could knurl them and create enough lift to contact in the bore. Today with a little more thought I set aside my mil files and decided to use a set of 'wood rasps' that I had in the shop. The wood rasp did an excellent job creating the knurling lift of the brass I needed.

I completed knurling three of the factory bullets and installed them in the muzzle of a Knight Mountaineer, the knurling was near perfect. So I got greedy and tried the rest of the Knight 50's I had. One rifle, an old MK-85 with a Wiseman Barrel, the knurled bullet was very tight but loadable. In the others they were all tight enough to catch the lands of the bore. Lehigh Dave told me about a German bullet builder, Lutz Moeller, who has suggested and built bullets that do not totally fill the lands and grooves, and is have great success with them. I believe with the addition of the MMP Sub-Base under the bullet to trap the gas the bullet will contact the lands sufficiently to create the rotation for stabilization. This is important for me because of the makeup of the Brass Bullet, I can not count on any 'obturation'. Of course all of this remains to be seen... until I can find the time to go shoot them.

One other bullet that I want to try is the Lehigh/Bloodline .500x325 ML bullet. I would almost bet the ML bullet with it's factory knurling might fit the Knight bores or tight bores of the TC and possibly the CVA's very well. The MMP sub-base or a wad, shot card of some sort will still be needed to seal the gas in the bore.

Here is a set of pictures of what I did do today... - Just can not figure out when I might get time to go to the farm and get some shooting in...

I love to play with sabotless! I would have never thought that the brass would have knurled up like that. BTW.....I got my Mountaineer back today. Barry called & said that he put in another bolt & a longer breech plug. He sent pics of th breech staying totally clean thru 10 shots. Ordered some 458/275's too :) Hope to get to the range tomorrow.

GregK said:
I love to play with sabotless! I would have never thought that the brass would have knurled up like that. BTW.....I got my Mountaineer back today. Barry called & said that he put in another bolt & a longer breech plug. He sent pics of th breech staying totally clean thru 10 shots. Ordered some 458/275's too :) Hope to get to the range tomorrow.

Good hope you make it to the range... Shoot some primers in the garage and see what they look like - I would be curious...

mike

Back