The Fast Twist 45...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underclocked said:
I've contacted them about the stock. :lol:

The .45-70 barrel twist rate 1:32. Think I would rather go with the 1:28 twist .45 muzzy barrel.

You can't be serious? I just ASSumed that they would be 1:20. I am pretty sure the Bergara .45-70 barrel they make for the Encore is a 1:20? I know some guys over at Doug's have had some made up for the original black powder subs. Guess I need to go do some reading. :?

That faux wood don't do nuttin' for me. Reminds me of an entry level Daisy with plastic stocks. Now if it were more like the Lyman Mustang faux wood, maybe I'd get more excited.

I would call Bergara to make sure on the twist. All the other 45/70s they make are 1-20 so it seems odd that only the Apex barrel would be 1-32 and Optima Elite or T/C replacements would be 1-20.

As far as 1-32 though, NULA made his 45 in 1-32 and so did/does SMI and they work quite well in THOSE applications but it doesn't satisfy the criteria for this topic.

I would like to know for sure because it looks like a nice affordable option and the majority of the conversions do shoot well at BH209 speeds or a bit more.

If anyone is interested please post in the SML section about converting a CVA APEX and we can talk about it in more detail and see if the "other" velocity data is relevant to this topic. BH209 can achieve some very nice speeds in a 45. Busta has proven that with some of his others 1-20 shooting sabotless 250gr bullets.

I see the problem with the twist for the caliber size and I also see the advantage of a gain twist barrel. I think that if this were to really take off the sabot industry needs to step up with sabots for .375x45 and .411x45 to take advantage of the 375 and 405 caliber rifles. Has any body shot the PR duplex sabot for .357x45? Could you fit a .358 bullet in that combo to take advantage of the 35 Rem caliber? I see that Hornady has a new 200 FTX for the 35 Rem I have seen what a T/C Contender chambered for that does to a deer and it is all DRT. Also I know that there are problems with drilling the sabots with te small calibers. Has anyone tried the Magnum Sub Bases by MMP to add more material?

Hornet22savage said:
I see the problem with the twist for the caliber size and I also see the advantage of a gain twist barrel. I think that if this were to really take off the sabot industry needs to step up with sabots for .375x45 and .411x45 to take advantage of the 375 and 405 caliber rifles. Has any body shot the PR duplex sabot for .357x45? Could you fit a .358 bullet in that combo to take advantage of the 35 Rem caliber? I see that Hornady has a new 200 FTX for the 35 Rem I have seen what a T/C Contender chambered for that does to a deer and it is all DRT. Also I know that there are problems with drilling the sabots with te small calibers. Has anyone tried the Magnum Sub Bases by MMP to add more material?

I have asked Ron and Del both about the sabot selection for a 45... neither are to much interested in making big changes (to expensive) as 45 sabot sale are very very small in comparison with 50 cal. And the cost of changing equipment is huge...

But it's pretty much extra expense vs the muzzy barrel and no real gain (same barrel steel).

Bergara barrels for the Encore are 1 in 28, perhaps they would put the CVA mount on one for you.

Latest posts

Back