The Hawkeye Saga continues...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
I went shooting briefly this morning. I have settled on the load for it that I'll use if I get a late firearm season tag. I shot the group at 25 yds and need to do some shooting at 50 yds yet. The wind was picking up and I decided not to waste the powder. It shot fairly well at 50 yds with 60 gr (previous shooting session) but kicked far more than I liked. I have to use either 50 or 60 gr with this bullet to be legal so I dropped it to 50 gr and recoil was mild. I'll find out how well it shoots at 50 another day.

50 Gr. FFFG 777 and a 240 XTP. I need to do some shooting over the chrono yet. It also needs some sight adjustment.
Hawkeye.jpg

The flyer is the first shot on a clean bore. Looks like this pisol needs a fouling shot like the Omega does.

Patrick,
I think you are getting close! What's the recoil like? Similar to a 44Mag?

Never shot a 44 mag so I wouldn't know. :oops: I don't even know anyone around here who owns one.

Kick

Chuck & patrick, the Hawkeye kicks quite a bit with 60 gr. 777 I would say more than a 44 magnum, I have 3 44 S&W's 6" blu, 83/8" nickel and 83/8" stainless. Using stiff loads of 2400. Patrick how do you like your Hawkeye with a scope? Lou

Re: Kick

ourway7 said:
Patrick how do you like your Hawkeye with a scope? Lou

It's easier to pinpoint where I want the shot to go, but the weight of the gun makes it hard to steady even with shooting sticks. If I can keep it to what I get with open sights on a rifle at 50 yds I'll be happy. 2-3" is certainly doable. It'd be better if I could attach a bipod to it. I'm still looking at ways to work that.

Sling Swivel

Patrick I put a sling swivel stud in the butt area of my stock, I had a sling made at a sail shop. I hang the Hawkeye over my shoulder, it hangs down near or below my waiste, when I bring it up to shoot and hold it out it seems to steady me some. Another thing you may want to try with the stud being in the butt area one could attach a Harris bipod to it such as one puts on a rifle. which could create a better rest? Another thing with the sling I can carry it easier as they do not have a holster for the Hawkeye, and they are really great for that second shot if neccesary. In Delaware I can't carry a Hawkeye and a rifle at the same time, however in Maryland I can. Delaware being a shotgun state I use my ML'er, But the Savage is illegal, but of course illegal is a sick bird :lol: Lou

Found a short stud (the one that was on my Omega) and mounted it on my hawkey stock just far enough ahead of the trigger gaurd to mount a bipod. I epoxied it in and am letting it cure. As soon as I get the opportunity to shoot it I'll report on how well it does.

Latest posts

Back