THE HUNTING POUCH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
The Hunting Pouch
The hunting pouch was patterned after the one shown in the A. J. Miller painting "Eastern Frontiersman." It is about X" by X" and of a simple construction, made from bark tanned deer and fusian with a tick lining, sewn with linen thread. The inside of the bag contains a small pocket about 3" by 4". The adjustable strap is of 1-1/4" deer hide, I wear the pouch up higher so I can keep it in place with my elbow and it doesn't bounce around when moving at a fast pace. I use this setup for both my 54 cal J. Henry Lancaster rifled gun as well as my 28 ga early Wilson Chief Trade Gun - smoothbore.

The horn is cow horn and patterned after one displayed in the Museum of the Fur Trade. The spout and base plugs are made from maple with a tobacco stain and linseed oil finish. A powder measure is attached to the loading block with a whang and is tucked inside the top of the bag. The horn strap is hand woven linen like many shown by A. J. Miller in his early Eastern sketches. Having a separate strap for the horn definitely has disadvantages such as getting tangled with the pouch strap, but it is something that is shown quite frequently in the Miller's work and allows you to carry both your pouch and horn on different sides. After wearing the pouch and horn many different ways I finally settled on keeping them both together on the right side. Having the horn on the right side makes it easy for to use to prime the pan since I do not carry any kind of special priming horn.

The typical contents of my bag is as follows:

A handful of loose balls and patching at the bottom of the pouch, easily reached

The inner pocket of my shooting bag holds my hunting license (have to follow the law if in the field).

vent pick and pan brush.,

some pre-cut patches.

flint wallet with spare flints, hand forged pliers, Lady's legs (ramrod puller made of hand forged steel).

forged worm, and a wire worm.

tou for cleaning.

flint and steel fire set.

turnscrew.

flint knapper.

small tin of charred cloth with a flint.

extra cloth patches for cleaning or patching material.

If shooting my smoothbore,

small braintan bag of wadding material.

small braintan pouch of lead shot.

"Aux Aliments du Pays"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What exactly is "Lady's legs"?

I will have to pull my flinter out some time now that I am restocked with black powder.

I swear, Its so nice to have some good reading material from such an experienced person! And its not boring either! That's always a plus.

'Lady Legs' they are used for pulling a stuck ramrod. In these pictures you can see the ladies legs.

NEWSAL23.jpg

Thank you sir, I get tired of writing but with a little sweet talk, I'll continue if that's agreeable folks.

I know what you mean! It seems to interest folks for a while and afterward you get no more encouragement :lol:

Latest posts

Back