.. THE INFAMOUS POWER BELTS .........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of the bottom side of the heart from the deer that I shot last year at 158 yards with the Lehigh .458/300 gr CF subsonic bullet.
20141210_135549_zps8ec28c72.jpeg

Dave

8)
That subsonic will do the trick..........

Ray............ :shooter:

Thanks for the reply and compliment Tony. There are a lot of things that could go wrong during a hunt and sometimes MURPHY'S LAW PREVAILS............ :scratch:

Reminds me of the damage the old Copper Solid slugs used to do out of my 12 gauge Mossberg!!  Those flying pieces of shrapnel really do some damage!!  So, what is the best medicine for whitetail bucks: Barnes TEZ, Harvester PT Gold, Hornady Monoflex, Lehigh CF or the trusty Hornady XTP?

"So, what is the best medicine for whitetail bucks:"

Something that weighs a lot that stays together .... oh, and shooting straight to a lethal spot.

I'm using the Barnes T-EZ 250gr for elk, so it should have no problem with any deer.

I think you will be fine with the Barnes...you can use any powder load and have no fear of fragging like a lead bullet...lead core bullets have an optimal velocity they work at...and range...so loading a rifle with 120 grains of powder and knowing your shots are going to 100 yards and under and using a lead core bullet ..you may have fragging or just a punch thru with small bloodless hole...

where i hunt I have 100 yard shots and under...so I try to adjust my loads to the bullet i am using to be effective at that range an not over power it if its a lead core...but with a solid copper bullet you can use any load...but you still may get a pass thru at real close shots but get expansion

Yes, that's why i'm using them. I know they'll work at any distance. (speed)

It's also what I don't like about Powerbelts. They have a range (speed) they need to be used at. As long as you keep them in that comfort zone they work ok. Get them out of the zone, and there's a good chance for bad terminal performance. That's why some guys like them, and others hate them.

Pete, you need to possibly get a fusion on your back.

That sounds horrible. Sort of like welding my back together?

The Doc told me they could operate on it, but there's a chance it could end up worse. That's all I needed to hear. No thanks Doc, i'll just live with it.

I'm fine if I don't bend over.  :D

I had one 35 years ago and am now 72 and getting around great. The first surgery was the removal of L5-S1 disc, then one year later had the fusion.

org57 said:
I had one 35 years ago and am now 72 and getting around great. The first surgery was the removal of L5-S1 disc, then one year later had the fusion.
Maybe you had a better chance for success at the younger age. You know at our age we don't heal as well.

It just seems everytime I get cut open now it turns out bad. My back is a mess, but i'd sure hate to make it worse.

true but I just had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder and a neck fusion and have healed perfectly

Now days at our age it would be "AN ASSAULT WITH A DEAD WEAPON".

Pete, I have c5-c6-c7 fused and  titanium plate 6 screws in my neck, I can still do almost anything but over head work. I could have went on DISABILITY but that is not who I am. I'm a WORKING MAN and PRODE of it. :Salute:

Muley,

Like aqezer I have a fused neck with the plate and eight screws done at age 66, I am now 70. I also had L-4&5 fused back in 99 after years of back pain. No problems and that part of my body is fine. Foot surgery gave me more pain the two weeks after then neck or back surgeries.

I would not hesitate for another surgery if needed.

Thumbs up to sqezer!

John

Latest posts

Back