The rut is close

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Welcome from my cabin. Came up here this weekend to finish getting the place ready for winter. Just nicely got up here yesterday and there was a nice buck in the back yard. He wandered around to the front and started feeding at my feeder and making a pig of himself ;). Got up in the middle of the night to do what I have to do at my age ;), and I opened the window to see was it felt like out side. It was very still and I could hear a sound that sounded familiar but it seemed a little early in the year. I could have sworn it sounded like antlers hitting each other. Since we're in a game preserve and hunters are not allowed :D I doubted it was someone trying to rattle up a buck. I figured I must be hearing things. This morning went for a drive around the block to see what was new. On the next street over saw 2 bucks standing on the side of the road. One was the same deer that had been in my yard yesterday. All of a sudden the 2 of them started knocking heads :eek:. It must be getting to that time of year :D.
Also this morning I was out in the yard doing a couple of chores and saw a bunch of droppings that weren't there yesterday. They were'nt deer droppings. I'm sure they're Elk. Saw some here 3 weeks ago when we were last up here. Would have been neat to see it.

WOW! sounds like just a nice place to sit around, relax with a cup of hot coffee and watch the animals. That's the same reason I moved to where I did. Enjoy it, its what we need sometimes to bring us back to earth...

Good luck this season.

Goodmorning again. It's now 6:50 am and I just came in from outside the cabin. I was up early, as usual, and notice my sensor lights kept coming on so I stepped outside to have a look. There were 3 buck out in the yard. One was the big fellow that I've spoken of before. He still has a limp. The other 2 are smaller and would likely go 120 - 130. Both are 5 X5 and 5 X 4's. They stood around and walked onto the lawn. They were no more that 7 or 8 yds from me on the deck. The 2 smaller bucks suddenly turned to face each other and started knocking horns. Nothing too violent but a little pushing and rattling. They must be getting in the mood.

Back