Thinking of something

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a mold that cast a 500 gr .459" bullet that I use in my Pedersoli Sharps 1874. I was wondering if this would be a viable bullet to shoot out of my Knight .45 cal Mountaineer 1:20 twist. If so what would be a safe starting load for it. Of course I would size it down to .451" or .4505" and use a felt wad or veggie wad between powder and bullet.

Using Pyrodex or Goex real black.....I wouldnt ever need to go over 90gr. Swiss or hotter less. 500gr should be doable in the 1-20. Ive shot upto a 488gr and 80grV of BH209. That load thumps you good even in my heavier MLII.

Ok thanks for the input. I'll continue to toss this around. 500 gr is a bit much for deer but should be good medicine for a big PA black bear.

deer won't mind.....
I cast this same bullet for my 1874 Sharps and while up my cabin I propped my target stand up against a 10" rock maple at 50 yards to sight the rifle in as it was the first time shooting them. The bullet passed completely through the 10" maple blowing out a nice chunk of wood and buried itself to where I couldn't feel it with my knife in another. The alloy for that bullet was a 1:20 tin to lead ratio.
Probably make a heck of a load for elephant or T-rex!
https://reloadingunlimited.com/prod...nt-459-diameter-500-grain-pointed-round-nose/

Back