Thompson Center Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazetrapped

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and muzzleloading in general.  In my winter boredom I decided to start a new hobby.  I found a old muzzleloader that is in rough shape and missing some parts.  I thought it would be fun to clean it up and start a treasure hunt for the parts.  Before anyone gets to critical I only paid $20.00 for it.

On the barrel it does not state a model number or name.  What it does say is Thompson Center Arms Rochester New Hampshire 54 CAL.  On the other side of the barrel is the number 96197.  I'm assuming that this is the serial number.  There is no other identification or markings on it.  I contacted Thompson Centers through email with the above information but they simply sent me their generic Black Powder Muzzleloading Firearms manual.

I was hoping to get a diagram of the pieces and somewhat a name so that I could start researching/acquiring the missing pieces.  

Anyone have any advice / suggestions?

ebay will supply you with the missing parts. first you must put a bore light down the barrel to look at the bore. it may not be worth saving.if the bore is ok, clean it well, look for the missing parts on ebay and make a whole gun out of it. it will be a good hunter or target shooter to 150 yards or so. a .54 cal is way good enough for elk as well as deer and antelope. have fun.

Are the parts generic enough?  I'm just used to buying parts for a certain manufacturer / model such as a Ruger 1022.

Whats it look like? Brass patch box thats pointy at the ends, brass trigger guard with finger hoop, brass nose cap?

Google TC Hawken, TC Renegade and see what you have. After that, its easy.

Parts however on ebay for these rifles do go out of hand, price wise.

imag0010.jpg

imag0011.jpg

Here's a few pictures.  Sorry I apologize for the 2 step process.  Still getting use to how this forum works.

That's a renegade. Huge missing issue is that breech plug, those are no longer made. For $20 you certainly got your money worth, even if you buy a new barrel for it. Refinish the stock and put on ebay and those sell for well over $125 - 175 depending on the bidding war. Then add in the lock and triggers.

Went to a small local gun store to find some cleaning supplies to clean it up a little.  I brought the muzzleloader along to see if the guy new anything about it. He just laughed and pointed to the sign... he named his store after the renegade muzzleloader that he has been using for 30+ years! LOL.  Another gentlemen in the store says he has multiple barrels for the renegade with breech locks included.  I asked him how much and he told me $25 for all of them.  I'm thinking this is a pretty good solution.  Am I correct?

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure to do as Strong Eagle suggested and check out the bores before buying.

Another reason to check out the bore is to make sure it's NOT loaded.  The price is great and $25 for several barrels is even better.  Great find.

Back