Thompson Center Renegade Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have "a hankering" to shoot a more traditional muzzleloader this season instead of my Knight and CVA inlines and would like recommendations on powder weights and loads for my TC Renegade. I have had this rifle for many years and it is in pristine condition. Actually hunted with it many years ago. Just wanting to use it again this year. I have a jugs of Hodgdon 777, Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex FFFG P powder. I also have four full boxes of Hornady Great Plains 410 grain HB-SP pre-lubed bullets that I was thinking about using but also have several sabot/bullet combinations that I could use as well.

I am looking for recommendations for powder weights and bullet combinations for this rifle to test and use this upcoming season. So any of you sidelock shooters please give me what you would suggest that I try.

Thanks

Back when I could see 'gooder' a 90gr measure of Pyro RS behind a maxi-ball and a 70gr measure behind a .535 roundball were both very accurate loads for me and shot to the same point of impact at 75yds

halloflin said:
I have "a hankering" to shoot a more traditional muzzleloader this season instead of my Knight and CVA inlines and would like recommendations on powder weights and loads for my TC Renegade. I have had this rifle for many years and it is in pristine condition. Actually hunted with it many years ago. Just wanting to use it again this year. I have a jugs of Hodgdon 777, Pyrodex RS and Pyrodex FFFG P powder. I also have four full boxes of Hornady Great Plains 410 grain HB-SP pre-lubed bullets that I was thinking about using but also have several sabot/bullet combinations that I could use as well.

I am looking for recommendations for powder weights and bullet combinations for this rifle to test and use this upcoming season. So any of you sidelock shooters please give me what you would suggest that I try.

Thanks

My favorite bullet for the Stock 1:48 Twist Barrels in both .50 and .54 is the Lyman Plains bullet, similar in loading to the TC Maxi ball with the bottom bands being slightly undersize for easy starting, and the Front band (Driving) Being oversize to engage the Riflings. The .50s weigh right at 400 Grains, and the .54s are Closer to 460 Grains, Both are .85 long. My Rifles shoot the Lyman Plains VERY well, My Dad has shot my Lyman Plains bullets out to 200 Yards in his .54 Cal Renegade, they did REALLY well :yeah: No question he could stay in the Vitals of a Deer that far with it! As for the powder you mention, The only Substitute i have tried is the Pyro P, i had good luck with it my first time out, But had problems with it my next outing simply cuz I didn’t understand it? I had just replaced the nipple in my rifle to a Treso/Ampco (tiny .028 flash hole) My first shot was more of Fizzle than anything? Hardly any Recoil, The bullet did exit the barrel, but it sure didn’t have anything going for it! :lol: I packed up and went home, Ditched the Pyro P and went back to My Real Black powder. I contacted Idahoron that same day and asked him what the heck could have caused that? I thought that maybe i had gotten a bad pound of powder? Ron told me that it was my new Nipple, and that the Flash hole was Way to small to reliably ignite the Pyro (I have used Real Black exclusively, So i didn’t understand the Needs of the Substitutes?) I really need to get back out and Try the Pyrodex P Again with an opened up nipple. My understanding is you need the Flash Hole to be Somewhere around .032-.033 For the Subs to ignite reliably, others will know more about this than myself. Idahoron shoots the Pyrodex P with stellar Results! He uses 80 Grains by Volume, or 64.5 Grains by Weight, that is with a 408 Grain PP Bullet in his .45 Cal, I am not sure of his .50 Cal Recipe? But I believe it’s the Same Powder Charge as his .45 Cal

If you would like to try some of these Lyman Plains i would Gladly send you some to try. Keep in mind that Bullet Lube is another REALLY important thing, Not all Bullet lubes are equal that’s for Sure! I am using a Blend of Ed’s Blue lube and my own Bear Grease, I have had REALLY good luck with it! I could send you enough Lube to test the Bullets as well, i have plenty of it :yeah: Another important thing is the OP Wad, In my testing 1/8” Wool OP Wads have been the CRYSTAL CLEAR Winner with all of my Grease Groove bullets. If by chance your rifle has TC’s QLA Muzzle i would NOT recommend the use of an OP Wad, Just seat the bullet on the Powder, Cross your fingers and hope for the best

I always liked using a PRB out of my Renegades. I used 80-90gr of Swiss 2F. Probably equal to your T7 powder. I used that for elk and muley bucks.

So, that's only a 230gr projectile for the .54 I always used. It doesn't take as much as you think if you don't try to take long shots. I was limited to 75yds with open sights.

Latest posts

Back