Thompson Center strike

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treedancer

Reaction score
I am shooting a Thompson Center strike
Will someone please tell me what works for them as far as bullets and loads
Thank you and I certainly do appreciate the site

I have the LHR Redemption, which is essentially the same gun. I am not sure if TC kept the green mountain barrel that mine has or not? If so, try the Harvester crush rib sabot and pretty much any bullet you like. For closer shots the Hornady xtp 300 gr. has been fantastic, but the BC leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve moved to the Harvester white lightning.44 in the 300gr. for its better ballistics and the green sabot fits a little tighter in my bore.

Also, I’m using Blackhorn 209 and thats the only powder I’ve tried in mine. It shoots good from anything around 80gr to 110gr by volume, just depends on how much recoil you want. If you have the breech plug for loose powder it will shoot slightly more accurate, but when you get close to 105gr of powder the spent primers start getting difficult to pull out due to blowback pressure swelling them. The plug meant for pellets, will shoot Blackhorn just fine and does not have the primer issue, however accuracy is slightly degraded. It was not enough to out weigh the primer issue for me so I hunt with the pellet plug.

One last thing, I did notice when I tried lighter bullets like the 250’s I also did not get great accuracy. With the white lightnings I am seeing MOA out to 200 yards. I did have a 3 1/2” group one time at 300 yards on steel too. That’s with 76gr. BH209 by weight (Approx 110 by volume) and a W209 Primer.

Thank you for the information
I will definitely give the Harvester bullets a try
I appreciate your time

I have the LHR Redemption, which is essentially the same gun. I am not sure if TC kept the green mountain barrel that mine has or not? If so, try the Harvester crush rib sabot and pretty much any bullet you like. For closer shots the Hornady xtp 300 gr. has been fantastic, but the BC leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve moved to the Harvester white lightning.44 in the 300gr. for its better ballistics and the green sabot fits a little tighter in my bore.

Also, I’m using Blackhorn 209 and thats the only powder I’ve tried in mine. It shoots good from anything around 80gr to 110gr by volume, just depends on how much recoil you want. If you have the breech plug for loose powder it will shoot slightly more accurate, but when you get close to 105gr of powder the spent primers start getting difficult to pull out due to blowback pressure swelling them. The plug meant for pellets, will shoot Blackhorn just fine and does not have the primer issue, however accuracy is slightly degraded. It was not enough to out weigh the primer issue for me so I hunt with the pellet plug.

One last thing, I did notice when I tried lighter bullets like the 250’s I also did not get great accuracy. With the white lightnings I am seeing MOA out to 200 yards. I did have a 3 1/2” group one time at 300 yards on steel too. That’s with 76gr. BH209 by weight (Approx 110 by volume) and a W209 Primer.
👍

90gr. Blackhorn 209
300gr. TC Shock Wave
This has been working pretty fair for me
I will try all of the above information in the spring
There is room for improvement
Thank you for the information

Latest posts

Back