Sight in help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyriders97

Reaction score
I am practicing for an upcoming Maine moose hunt. I shoot a Ruger M-77/50 caliber inline. I am using BH209 powder (82 grains by weight) pushing a Barnes 290 grain saboted T-EZ bullet. If I am sighted in 3" at 100 yards where will my bullet strike at 50 yards and again at 15o yards...thanks for your input!

Im assuming if you can practice at 100 yards you can also shoot at 50? BC charts are all over the place and no one here even knows your actual fps of that load. Way too many variables that are only going to be a wild guess without more hard data.

BTW did you upgrade the bolt and plug in that Ruger or is it stock?

Im assuming if you can practice at 100 yards you can also shoot at 50? BC charts are all over the place and no one here even knows your actual fps of that load. Way too many variables that are only going to be a wild guess without more hard data.

BTW did you upgrade the bolt and plug in that Ruger or is it stock?
I upgraded it with a new bolt and striker and it now can use 209 primers....wonderful upgrade!

I am practicing for an upcoming Maine moose hunt. I shoot a Ruger M-77/50 caliber inline. I am using BH209 powder (82 grains by weight) pushing a Barnes 290 grain saboted T-EZ bullet. If I am sighted in 3" at 100 yards where will my bullet strike at 50 yards and again at 15o yards...thanks for your input!
Go out and poke a couple holes at both distances..... takes all the guesswork out of it.

What ignition system do you have? I don't advise using Blackhorn powder unless you have the. Badger ridge conversion for 209 primers. The 77/50 has a lot of blow back, With the Badger conversion it is a fine gun..

What ignition system do you have? I don't advise using Blackhorn powder unless you have the. Badger ridge conversion for 209 primers. The 77/50 has a lot of blow back, With the Badger conversion it is a fine gun..
Let me clarify. I have a 77/50 and it is a well made American gun. It had a few issues. They tended to misfire with their #11 nipples. Problem was the nipple was a little oversized. You can sand and steel wool it down so that the cap fits all the way down against the nipple flush and it works pretty well. You can also or could at one time, buy a musket cap plug and nipple (one piece). The blow back is quite severe so at intervals disassemble the bolt and clean it well. It gets sooty and could hang up. The blow back can cause sear wear and make the gun go off. The best solution is the Badger ridge modification. It is expensive but does stop blow back. All said and done this is my most accurate muzzleloader. 90 grains pyrodex v and Barnes 250 MZ for my gun. Good luck.

Back