Thoughts on Hornady 50/44-300 gr. HP/XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Reaction score
While I've yet to take a shot with my new ML, my gut tells me this bullet could be my one and only all-purpose round. What are your thoughts/ opinions on this round out of a T/C Triumph with BH 209?

Its definitely a winner out of my Knight MHC! Harvester Crush Ribs (green), Remington STS primers and 65 grains WEIGHT of Blackhorn 209 is my recipe.

I think the load is a good choice. I shoot the .452 xtp 300gr. Its a great shooter at 100yds and under out of my t/c. Just made the switch to loose powder. I'm still working on my loads. The 300gr with 2 t7 x 50 pellets has been a very good performer for me. Black cr sabot.

I have the green sabots that came with the bullets. Any suggestion for a starting load of BH 209? Open sights for now, Nikon Omega later.

I would start at 90 grains volume and work up. When accuracy goes south, so should your powder charge.

Nugent said:
I have the green sabots that came with the bullets. Any suggestion for a starting load of BH 209? Open sights for now, Nikon Omega later.

I would start at 100grns with this bullet.

I have to agree with mq32shooter. I find that 90 grs.(vol) and even 80 grs. of the BH209 are excellent starting loads with a number of projectiles. Some bullets like the Harvestor(SB) short black sabots.

Art Sehnke :)

art sehnke said:

I have to agree with mq32shooter. I find that 90 grs.(vol) and even 80 grs. of the BH209 are excellent starting loads with a number of projectiles. Some bullets like the Harvestor(SB) short black sabots.

Art Sehnke :)

I have the Harvester short black sabots for my ShockWaves/ SST's but this is a bit different. Those are 45/50's, not 44/50's, correct?

I've got pre-measured charges from 80 - 120 gr. in 5 gr. increments ready for the range. Anyone else?

Back