Thoughts on revolvers....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a revolver. I have been looking at two specifically, S&W 686 Plus 357 mag 7 inch barrel and S&W Model 57 41 mag. I got pretty much everything to load the 357 mag except small pistol primers and 357 mag brass. The 41, I would have to get everything except powder, maybe. Anybody got any thoughts about the 2 pistols?

I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 and it was a really comfortable pistol to shoot. I had two Blackhawks in .357 and would not bother owning another. I would buy another .41 if it came by affordably.

I got to thinking after I talked with another hunt club member about the hogs on one of our properties. He said he always carried a 44 pistol on that tract because of the hogs. So, I thought, I need a "new" pistol to protect me from these "evil" hogs. My glock 30 45ACP will just not do!!!! So, since I don't want to let an opportunity to buy a new gun slip away. So, I started looking at revolvers.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag and it is by far my favorite gun to shoot and hunt with! Worth a look.

I thought about the 44. Great caliber. Handloader's dream. It just never interested me. 🤔
I guess I'm the only one....

41mag for sure. I just missed out on a 41mag Ruger SBH and ended up buying a guys 44mag SBH with a 2X Burris scope on it. I am all in on reloading 44mag, but would’ve been happy to get everything for 41mag.

Ive got a 686 4” .357 and i love that gun. The lock has never even been an issue for me. I would like the BlackHawk in .41 or .44 for hunting, there’s just something about that SAO i like. And the SRH look like the barrel was an after thought, to me.

My centerfire revolver stable runs from 327 fed up to 500 s&w. The 2 41 blackhawks I have seem to be the best balance of power & accuracy with "relatively" low recoil. They in fact seem to be the most accurate handguns I own besides probably a ruger mk2 target. I've wondered if maybe it's due to the 41's fewer production numbers thus less wear on tooling? Could be I'm full of crap too though haha

Ive got a 686 4” .357 and i love that gun. The lock has never even been an issue for me. I would like the BlackHawk in .41 or .44 for hunting, there’s just something about that SAO i like. And the SRH look like the barrel was an after thought, to me.
Started my law enforcement career at a small department in the early 90's. The chief was a backwards idiot and would only let us carry revolvers because he wanted to limit how many bullets we had in our guns. I went with the 686 stainless and actually fell in love with that gun. Switched to a Glock 21 when I found my full time job. Thousands, and I mean thousands of rounds thru the Glock over the years and not a single malfunction. I wish I still had the Smith.

I have been thinking of getting a revolver. I have been looking at two specifically, S&W 686 Plus 357 mag 7 inch barrel and S&W Model 57 41 mag. I got pretty much everything to load the 357 mag except small pistol primers and 357 mag brass. The 41, I would have to get everything except powder, maybe. Anybody got any thoughts about the 2 pistols?
I've owned a S&W 57. It was a great shooter, extremely accurate and a fantastic deer slayer. It would definitely be my choice. I also have owned several .357 magnums and still have more than one. The .41 is just "better".

I carried a 686 .357 when I used to do police work. It is a great pistol. I have no qualms about using or carrying one. Although the .41 mag is a nice cartridge the .357 still has tons of stuff you can get for it so I would go that route. Plus you can use .38 specials in it too. The .41 is rather rare and obscure anymore.

Same here, we were only allowed to carry 38+p+ rather than 357.
Only time I ever got shrapnel to the face was from another officer gun at qualifying range.

Our official cartridge was Remington .357 magnum with 158 grain JHP. They wanted something that would go through car door and windshields. Women officers were allowed to use the Remington .38 Specials if they could not handle the magnums. But I don’t remember any women who did carry 38s in their revolvers though.

Latest posts

Back