Tick Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a big believer in Permethrin now since moving to Arkansas about 2.5 years ago. I was spraying deet and picaridan heavily on my clothes and was still getting them on me badly. Seed ticks and full adults were on me every time I went to my property. Then I was told about Permethrin spray for treating your clothes. Wow! It’s a miracle in a can. Not had a single tick attach since starting to use it.
One time, I went out there and was working and had to pee. I started doing my thing and watched one crawling up my pants leg. It almost got up to my knee and fell off. I’m a believer!

I use this to treat my clothes when going afield.
https://www.sawyer.com/products/permethrin-fabric-treatmentA friend of ours called the other day because her horse got sick and went off his feed. Vet took a blood test and it came back with lime disease.
A few years ago, my cousin got lime disease and it almost done him in. He was 84 at the time. He lost most of his hearing from it and is still not to steady on his feet. His 40 year old neighbor across the street from him got bit by a tick while out hunting. That was a few years ago and the lime disease got him to the point has to use a walker to get around now.
With the warming trend we had in Ohio this past winter, I imagine the tick count is going to be pretty high.

I found a female deer tick on my clothing 2 weeks ago while in my yard. They're out early this year. I spent a few hours outside this morning for our spring CLUB cleanup. Good news was not many seen. I wear a zip-up-the-middle one piece flight suit sprayed down with Permethrin.

Sawyer Permethrin. Let me tell you, you don’t want Lyme. Do everything you can to prevent it.
The good news is Lyme disease is preventable with thorough clothing and body checks. I've been treated twice for an infected deer tick bite. In both cases the red donut rash was clearly starting after 24 hours. If you catch it early you should be good. Knock on wood I've had no after affects.

Ya’ll can also buy commercial pesticide grade permethrin SFR in 36.8% concentration and follow the instructions to dumb it down to 0.5%.

Depending on how often you use it that might be a much more economical way to go. I have never bought Sawyers and didn’t know it existed until several years after I learned about treating clothes with permethrin to prevent ticks.

I also treat my dogs bedding, fire ant hills in my yard and the ground where I place my pop up blinds.

I dug this sucker out of my head a year or so ago before it was buried to deep. I caught lime a couple of times about five years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Ya’ll can also buy commercial pesticide grade permethrin SFR in 36.8% concentration and follow the instructions to dumb it down to 0.5%.

Stuff i use is 10 percent Permethrin. Every spring i treat two shirts and two trousers with Permethrin by making up two gallons of mixture by pouring out 6.5 ounces of water from each jug and replacing it with Permethrin. The mixture is poured into a five gallon with the clothes. Bucket is shaken well and clothes are removed in about 24 hours. IME: Each set is good for at least ten washings.

There are two types of 10 percent Permethrin, that approved for human use and that which is not.

Warning: Permethrin is deadly to cats.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We have deer ticks out the wazoo in PA. My doctor gave me an RX for a particular antibiotic for tick bites (don't know name). You take two after a bite and if you don't develop any symptoms you're supposedly good.

I just posted on Saturday here and while mowing the lawn on Sunday,I sat down in the house to take a break and dug a tick out of the top of my head. They are among us early this year.

Stuff i use is 10 percent Permethrin. Every spring i treat two shirts and two trousers with Permethrin by making up two gallons of mixture by pouring out 6.5 ounces of water from each jug and replacing it with Permethrin. The mixture is poured into a five gallon with the clothes. Bucket is shaken well and clothes are removed in about 24 hours. IME: Each set is good for at least ten washings.

There are two types of 10 percent Permethrin, that approved for human use and that which is not.

Warning: Permethrin is deadly to cats.
Okie I believe there is only one type of permethrin, not two. The difference is in the % of the solution that makes it safe for humans. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okie I believe there is only one type of permethrin, not two. The difference is in the % of the solution that makes it safe for humans.

i don't know. For many years i've just used whatever 10 percent Permethrin was on hand to treat my clothes. Then i read this prior to posting:

"And an additional update from Michelle CM:

“First off, I am an Army entomologist and have worked quite a bit in past assignments with clothing treatments and skin repellents for military use. I get the appeal of diluting the concentrated permethrin, but the Martin’s product in the article is not labeled for use on clothing. Using it for applications other than what is on the label is actually illegal. Aside from that, diluting concentrated permethrin that is not labeled for clothing use may not be safe or adhere to clothing as well as products developed and labeled clothing application. Stick with products that are EPA registered for clothing application since they have been reviewed for safety on clothing and a product without that indication on the label has not. While the active ingredient may be the same, there may be other inactive ingredients that are not safe for wear on clothing.”"

https://gear-report.com/diy-permeth... 1 Pour off,into the jug. 4 Shake up the jug.

And this

Martins Permethrin 10% is labeled for both indoor and outdoor use
. Martins Permethrin 10% can also be used on large animals, swine, poultry, and dogs. Martins Permethrin 10% controls horn flies, face flies, lice and ticks, with a residual activity lasting up to 28 days. Commercial Applicators Only This product is not for use on clothing.

Martins Permethrin 10% | Animal Health Pest Control | DoMyOwn.c…

www.domyown.com/martins-permethrin-10-p-2124.html
www.domyown.com/martins-permethrin-10-p-2124.html

Last edited:
I was in the woods yesterday looking for horns and it was snowing out
Still came home with a tick
Earliest I ever got one

They're out in force here in SE Minnesota. I was to the gun club last week and got two hanging targets, on mowed grass yet. Friends with dogs are complaining already. It seems like ticks are becoming more prevalent earlier in the spring. Maybe its just more people in the outdoors. I could live just fine without having to deal with ticks.

Latest posts

Back