Time to Regulate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

It is well past time to regulate.

The NRA needs to overcome it's fear of leftists, and work with congress to regulate the ownership of AR type rifles. Leftists want to ban all guns; they should not be part of writing regulations. Congress, and the NRA need to adhere to the constitution, and regulate 'Arms'.

A regulation making it necessary to have a concealed carry permit to purchase AR type rifles, may have prevented most if not all school shootings. This regulation could be enacted rather quickly.

It is our constitutional right to bear arms, to own AR type rifles. Mine i use to hunt coyotes, rock chucks, prairie dogs, and turkey. It is great fun for us to blow up pop cans out ¼ mile, with my AR rifle.

Being a life member of the NRA; a gun owner, i understand the fear of the leftist agenda. The NRA has been stubborn, and strong resisting the agenda of the left. It is time the NRA became courageous, and helped congress regulate the ownership of AR type rifles. Well past time.

If an armed teacher is required to save children from a shooter, things have gone too far. A teacher with a pistol versus a maniac with a rifle, is not the best. It is far better to have stopped the shooter from being in the school armed with an AR.

A regulation making it necessary to have a concealed carry permit to purchase AR type rifles, may have prevented most if not all school shootings. This regulation could be enacted rather quickly.

X2 , well said Ron.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Good points Ron. I can completely agree, CPL.

However, I'd rather be armed with a pistol against a perp in close quarters than nothing available.

There might be some truth to the statement, (you give a inch and they take a mile). Gun regulation is not the solution to the problem. Mens morals are the problem and getting men back to a sense of moral direction is the answer. I myself do not have all the answers for sure but I am sure glad the NRA stands and fights for my constitutional rights (of which I am a life member). Just take one of the latest recommendations being considered. Raising the age limit to 21 to be able to purchase a AR-15. If our country will accept 19 year olds into the Marines and Army and other branches of service to train with the same style weapons and allow them to offer their lives up for our country then denying them the right to purchase a weapon until they are 21 kind of rubs me the wrong way. I believe we are regulated to death now. Law this and Law that. Yes we should and have to have a certain amount of laws. I think a lot of the problem is the punishment for the crimes falls way short of adequate. Punishment should fit the crime. You murder someone criminally then you should be put to death. Stiff up the penalaties for crimes and that should go a long way to deterrence. As to democrats, who was it that took your right away in 1994 to purchase a AR-15 after that date? I, like many others here had no real interest in a AR all these years. I purchased one a couple of years ago and only for one purpose, for self protection in case of a uprising or riot that gets out of control and risk my and my families safety. People it is not the gun, it is the minds and hearts of men who are moved by evil.

Ron, in my opinion it took a big man to be the first to write this post. I’ve been thinking this for a while.

Ron, good post and I agree with what you said. My whole problem with what is going on today is what changed since we were kids? I remember taking two buses to get to my gun club in NY with my rifle (In a gun case). Nobody blinked or thought anything of it. I remember cops riding by and waving to us and every now and then they would stop and shoot the breeze with us. Maybe they were trying to figure out where we were going etc, but the conversations were very cordial. They would ask if we got our Expert badges yet, what kind of 22's we were shooting, did we hunt and they would sometimes mention they too had 22 Anschultz, Mossberg or Remington target rifles. then they would wish us luck and go on their way.

I'm sorry to say with all of the violence, sex scenes on TV, Movies, not to mention Video games and being able to obtain drugs today and now both parents generally need to work these days our kids today (Not ALL) are not being properly guided and supervised. My other thought is I feel not enough money is being spent these days on treating mental issues and depression. I know I could go on and on as to what is wrong today and what Ron mentioned is a good step in the right direction, but we need to address the other issues, which will help in corrupting the minds of our kids today.

Thanks Ron and I agree wholeheartedly.

I offered this on another site: maybe right now these kids should be fighting to get local, state and federal confidential hotlines established that would give them a place to call and report those with whom they interact socially or even on a family basis. I also suggested that any form of media found digging to find out who any caller was be tossed in the clink for a year and then banned from working in any form of media for life. As horrific as these mass shootings are they just get enflamed by the media. I have no time for the media in most instances and would love to see an amendment added to the 1st requiring all media report only provable fact, not conjecture, not what if, no maybe if, not he said or she said, just straight up provable fact.

I see no reason to own an AR anything but respect those who enjoy them. I do think Ron has a very valid point about the CC requirement to purchase one but I'd like to see that requirement go towards purchasing any clip for the same holding 10 or more rounds and even then limit private ownership of said clip size to 1.

Thanks Ron. AR's have never interested me but I would hate to see other individuals loose the right to use or own them. Age limits, well not sure that is the answer either. I too believe that the root cause is multi faceted. Mental health is definitely up there on the list and preventing anyone that is diagnosed should not have a firearm. Decay of good morals is another.

Our Law enforcement really dropped the ball on this one too and heads should roll for it, not just the coward Deputy that did not enter the school! :evil:

As far as the Media goes.. THIS IS my biggest peeve! I agree with MR Tom but also would ad to that amendment that the Media is not provided nor Allowed to broadcast the Name or Picture of the "Shooter" EVER. I see no need for the public to know this individual in any way. The media should only be permitted to call them the "Shooter, "Perpetrator", "Animal" etc. The media constantly uses the name and picture of this moron till everyone remembers them, but after this all settles down we never remember the names of the Victims because they drum the shooters name into us and not the names of the Victims! The media turns the morons into celebrities, and anyone looking for a way to be noticed or get attention in someway sees that even if the "Shooter" was taken out, by their own hand or by the cops, people remember who they are. When it all settles down no one remembers the names of the Victims and they are the Only names we should remember.

Well, my state has a minimum age of 18 for either rifle or handgun and no CCW is required to carry concealed. 19 or older to carry concealed. They did away with the license/permit requirement last year.

I’d like to understand how the background checks are failing. I have no problem making them more stringent. Law abiding gun buyers have nothing to fear in my opinion. Let’s get it right, even if it takes a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they ban AR's and we still have school shootings they come back for more of our rights. What's next magazines that hold more that XX rounds, shotguns that hold more than X shells, guns that are smaller than 30 caliber, guns that are easily concealed, guns with plastic frames, or ban black powder.....trust me they are always looking for ways to divide shooters and won't stop with one change. Remember the recent news coverage of wanting to more tightly regulate .50 caliber muzzle loaders? Every gun control law they pass is followed by another to correct the shortfall/limits of the previous law which continually chip away at our rights. I'll never support changes that limit our rights.

Back ground checks rarely fail.....what fails is the information is not placed in the proper data base to be retrieved. For example, Virginia Tech shooter was never reported, Texas church shooter never reported, Colorado theater shooter never reported, and shooter in Florida never reported. Go read the after action reports and you'll agree that the indicators were there yet never reported. A few years ago this was a hot topic and they revealed that the entire state of Oklahoma had entered one person that year into the data base as being mentally unqualified to purchase a gun. That's right, one person from the entire state in a twelve month period. If the data is not entered the purchase will always be approved.

In 2016 we had approximately 11,000 firearms homicides while we had 64,000 overdose deaths. The common numbers they quote reflect all firearms deaths including suicides and justifiable shootings to pad the numbers. Since we have lost one of our kids to a drugged semi driver, I'm heart broken at what the parents are going through but if the first security guy/gal he ran into would have had an AR there would have been a lot less funerals. I hear people keep saying you can't close off schools and add guards to make it seem like a prison. My question is how many times have we had a mass shooting at a prison. I have an AR for the same reason cops do...the world is full of evil people.

jims said:
GM: What State are you from?

Missouri

Cruz was 19 and the OP's suggestion would not have effected the outcome in several states including mine.

Among U.S. states, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only), Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming (residents only) are fully unrestricted, and allow those who are not prohibited from owning a firearm to carry a concealed firearm in any place not deemed off-limits by law without a permit. Idaho, North Dakota and Wyoming only extend permitless carry to residents of the state; non-residents must still have a permit issued by their home state to legally carry concealed in these states.

Back ground checks rarely fail.....what fails is the information is not placed in the proper data base to be retrieved. For example, Virginia Tech shooter was never reported, Texas church shooter never reported, Colorado theater shooter never reported, and shooter in Florida never reported. Go read the after action reports and you'll agree that the indicators were there yet never reported. A few years ago this was a hot topic and they revealed that the entire state of Oklahoma had entered one person that year into the data base as being mentally unqualified to purchase a gun. That's right, one person from the entire state in a twelve month period. If the data is not entered the purchase will always be approved.

Why, how does this happen? Who is not reporting? It seems like it would be in everyone's best interest...

Sorry for your loss. That stinks for sure.

In all honesty I think that all the talk about mental health issues and background checks will fall by the wayside with this incident. Look at the steam these kids have generated and how many BIG businesses are dumping the power of the NRA. These kids want action based on their observations...that people with guns kill. Mental state right now only pertains to gun possessers. These kids and those who've jumped on their bandwagon want guns gone period without understanding the ramifications of having them gone. Wait until the next election.....anyone preaching radical gun control will win the votes of these young people. They saw how many die because the gun wielding "protection" they had in that school outside hiding. This simply showed them that having guns doesn't mean a thing.

We all know that sane people don't commit mass murders/shootings and many probably think that this is the direction that any answer will be found. I haven't ever seen any sane person say or state that women love having their privates grabbed and fondled until our last election yet we have a sitting president that said just that's sitting in the Whitehouse thanks to voters who can look past this type of mental illness so a mental illness argument for back ground checks, reasonable gun control and/or reasonable regulation will likely carry very little weight. What with privacy laws to get around and no certain legal description to help draw a line between mental illness and normal, unreasonable regulation should probably be expected. These kids and the following they have championed are a force to be reckoned with and keep in mind they have a huge following that are yet to reach voting age.

Personally I think that anyone who owns any sort of firearm right now that has any kind of working gray matter would be better off not lamenting over mental issues and start to think of ways to bend to this crowd on the ar's and other platform weaponry. I honestly think that Ron's idea is the least intrusive way to address the issue that I have read or heard of between about ten different sites. We've already proven that mental health issues don't mean much as a nation. And a lot of our rights can get changed before mental health issues get resolved.

I just saw this little quip supposedly made by a much younger Clint Eastwood....

" Gun control because criminals have too many guns is like castrating yourself because your neighbor has too many kids".

This is a great way to look at it. S'pose there's some mental illness in this thinking?

Unfortunately I have to disagree wholeheartedly with Ron...
I have had a CC before..and when a sheriff in the state of Oregon contacted me by mail stating that a lawsuit was being filed against ALL CC licensees that you must comply to tell the commission about ALL GUNS that you own....this was complete BS on behalf of the state not to keep those records sealed....
I wrote a letter back to the sheriff along with my CC permit and told him to burn it along with all paperwork related to....
So if you want to jump on a bandwagon of saying that only CC people are legitimate enough to be allowed to possess an AR...I think you know where I stand.....you can go to hell....
AND I DO NOT OWN AN AR.....

I agree the kids started a huge s*}t storm and don’t realize the total ramifications of what they’re doing. They are only seeing one thing right now. Lots of people seeing only one thing right now.
Not good. Not good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back