Ready to fire for the first time - now what could go wrong?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balkoth89

Reaction score
Hello members of Modern Muzzleloader Forums,

So I have recently acquired all of the materials necessary to begin firing my CVA Wolf inline muzzleloader rifle. Here is my list of supplies I will bring with me to the range:

1. CVA Wolf PR2110S Rifle with carrying case
2. Barnes T-EZ copper sabots (must be California legal for me)
3. White hots pelletized black powder substitute
4. Federal 209A Primers
5. Powerbelt Bullet starter
6. Thompson breech-plug grease
7. Bore solvent/cleaning patches
8. Safety glasses
9. Earmuff sound protection
10. Shovel (to bury bullet litter)
11. Fire extinguisher
12. Non-metal targets, plastic sheets to attach to objects such as milk cartons (what else could I use?)

I have prepared my rifle by cleaning it with bore solvent (Hoppes No 9 & CVA barrelblaster presoaked patches) followed by dry patches. I applied breech-plug grease and will re-grease the breech plug when I arrive at the range. I think it has been completely cleaned of the factory preservatives coating the inside of the barrel, and so it must be safe to start shooting.

I located an outdoor BLM shooting area near me. It seems very private and do-it-yourself; you park off the road behind these rock formations, walk into the field to place your targets, and shoot from behind the rocks. I plan on just firing 3 or 4 times just to get a feel for it. And of course, I will shoot a few blank primers beforehand, as suggested, to test the functioning.

What I'm worried about is how to safely handle a gun malfunction and learn what the problem is. Say I have my gun primed, charged with powder pellets, and loaded with the sabot. I cock the hammer back and shoot but it does not fire. I wait for 2 minutes with the gun still pointed downrange to see if it just has some kind of delayed fire (is that what I should do?).

If nothing happens, do I open up the gun and empty the load? What do I do? What could have prevented the gun from misfiring? I really don't know what to expect, I just want to be sure that I don't destroy my gun or blow off my hand or something. What are the important things I need to know?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for objects to place my targets on.

And, should I clean the barrel after each shot? What are suggested cleaning techniques for after the first few shots?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all feedback.

Instead of solvent I'd carry a jug of Windex w/ammonia for doing any patching between shots or every other shot. Those whitehots are going to leave a residue that the windex [being water based] will clean up better. If you were shooting the bh209 powder then solvent would be the thing to use.

I carry a piece of fine copper wire in my shooting kit for pushing thru the flame hole in the breech plug should it get stuffed up from shooting. I also carry a small drill bit that fits the flame channel immediately behind the primer pocket. I clean that pocket with the bit by slowly twisting it into the channel and blowing out the carbon it cleans out. 209 primers can create carbon that can partially plug up the flame channel after maybe 20 shots or so and maybe create a hang-fire or mis-fire so just getting in the habit of taking time to do this little bit of preventive maintenance can save you a lot of headaches.

Last edited:
Figure out your charge weight beforehand. If you had a misfire, once you wait a bit, then remove the primer or cap, the load is basically inert. You could then investigate getting the load out, there or home.

Make sure the channels & barrel are dry before loading. Many fire a cap/primer or two before loading, to ensure clear & dry.

Instead of solvent I'd carry a jug of Windex w/ammonia for doing any patching between shots or every other shot. Those whitehots are going to leave a residue that the windex [being water based] will clean up better. If you were shooting the bh209 powder then solvent would be the thing to use.

I carry a piece of fine copper wire in my shooting kit for pushing thru the flame hole in the breech plug should it get stuffed up from shooting. I also carry a small drill bit that fits the flame channel immediately behind the primer pocket. I clean that pocket with the bit by slowly twisting it into the channel and blowing out the carbon it cleans out. 209 primers can create carbon that can partially plug up the flame channel after maybe 20 shots or so and maybe create a hang-fire or mis-fire so just getting in the habit of taking time to do this little bit of preventive maintenance can save you a lot of headaches.

Windex with ammonia, got it. Think a paperclip could work in place of the copper wire? (just so I don't have to go out and find a copper wire)
WITNESS MARK.

Great, good advice, so I measured the length of the load (2 white hot pellets & 1 sabot) which came out to 2 and 2/3 inches. I put a ring of duct tape around the ramrod to mark where it stands unloaded, and etched in a line 2 and 2/3 inches below that just so I'll know that the bullet is fully seated when I load the first time. Does that sound like a good way to mark?

A paper clip will likely be too thick. Ask around with some buddies to see if anyone has a piece of scrap stranded copper wire. Go to a farm center and buy a welders torch tip cleaner assortment. One of those will work just don't use it to file out the flame hole. There's usually a smooth portion just ahead of the serrated portion....use that smooth potion to knock any debris loose, then blow the hole clear...a good old fashioned puff of air will do it. Then you're good to go for another 20 or so shots. Takes a minute but really cuts down on issues that arise with the flame hole being blocked partially, like hang or mis-fires.

A paper clip will likely be too thick. Ask around with some buddies to see if anyone has a piece of scrap stranded copper wire. Go to a farm center and buy a welders torch tip cleaner assortment. One of those will work just don't use it to file out the flame hole. There's usually a smooth portion just ahead of the serrated portion....use that smooth potion to knock any debris loose, then blow the hole clear...a good old fashioned puff of air will do it. Then you're good to go for another 20 or so shots. Takes a minute but really cuts down on issues that arise with the flame hole being blocked partially, like hang or mis-fires.
You could also just buy a dedicated tool to do this:
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cleaning/thompson-center-nipple-pick-7244.html

Walmart sometimes carries them for about $5

Windex with ammonia, got it. Think a paperclip could work in place of the copper wire? (just so I don't have to go out and find a copper wire)

Great, good advice, so I measured the length of the load (2 white hot pellets & 1 sabot) which came out to 2 and 2/3 inches. I put a ring of duct tape around the ramrod to mark where it stands unloaded, and etched in a line 2 and 2/3 inches below that just so I'll know that the bullet is fully seated when I load the first time. Does that sound like a good way to mark?

That's a start, but when you do load it verify the actual mark. Always..... always..... always check for that witness mark EVERY time you load it. ALWAYS & EVERY TIME.
A witness mark is a MUST and not an exception.

Latest posts

Back