Tinkering with the front sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I got my Traditions Tennessee rifle, trying to sight in with the primitive iron sights has been difficult. Earlier this week, I bought a 1/8 inch diameter round file and opened up the rear sight notch just to the bottom of the existing notch.
Made it to the range this morning to take a few shots with it. Once I figured out how to aim with the new sight picture, I was very happy to be able to achieve about 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Still have to fool around with patches and lube. The load was 70 grains of Old Ensyford 3f powder, .018 pillow ticking patch and a .490 ball.
I'm sure I can tighten my groups even more. At least it's a start.

Since I got my Traditions Tennessee rifle, trying to sight in with the primitive iron sights has been difficult. Earlier this week, I bought a 1/8 inch diameter round file and opened up the rear sight notch just to the bottom of the existing notch.
Made it to the range this morning to take a few shots with it. Once I figured out how to aim with the new sight picture, I was very happy to be able to achieve about 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Still have to fool around with patches and lube. The load was 70 grains of Old Ensyford 3f powder, .018 pillow ticking patch and a .490 ball.
I'm sure I can tighten my groups even more. At least it's a start.
I’m sure you can too... does it give you a little daylight on either side of the blade?

Latest posts

Back