Took a box of the new FTX 250 gr to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
I cut one of them apart they are similar to the SW but the jacket appears to be a bit different.
I shot a 5 shot group at 100yds with 120 gr BH the first two shots with a bit of oil burning out of the barrel were a bit right the next 3 made a decent group right at 1.5 inches.
I changed the load to 110 gr of BH and got about a 1/2 inch group.
Then I tried the long distance gongs at 250 yds and hit the 8 inch 3 times in a row. That made it time to go home with a smile.

Thanks for the range report.. Good shooting too. What power scope and brand do you run?

A Nikon Omega on a Triumph. Love them both they make a perfect match with the SW 250 and the 250gr FTX, I am hoping for a bit better results on the terminal end with the FTX. I believe they have improved the design by changing the nose and adding the interlock. Lee

FXT

Lee
Did the jacket appear thicker and does the sst perform just as well for you as far as accuracy goes. A 1/2 " group is pretty darn good for the new bullet.
Wayles

wayles
The SST and the SW shoot best with 120gr BH the FTX appears to like 110 gr better. Since I just got them I would rather wait till I have shot 10 or so groups to say to much about how they shoot.
The POI is slightly different [ I posted the targets on Hunting Net, I can not post pics here] and the nose has some strong ribs reinforcing it, behind which the shoulder is a bit thinner, and the base appears a bit stronger. I am wondering if They are the new design they call critical defense or some kind of off shoot from that. Any way I will know more in the next year as I intend to use them for some hunting. Compared to SW the price is right, as they are boxed in 50 piece amounts and I paid 26 dollars postage and all a box.
Lee

Lee-

Thanks for trying them out. So in your opinion do you think the new design will be a little stronger or not? If you have any pics of a the split bullet I would be happy to post them for you.

D1C7B9A29B5C4E2F84485D7C95C40BEE.jpg

AFE703601D3F4B6D95A478C8B37FAE72.jpg

I took the liberty of copying Lee's pics over from HuntingNet.

I posted the first two targets on hunting net two; for some reason I have not been able to post direct here and I have never used a separate sever for that. Lee

Thank you for the B.C. information.

It is looking to me like the .44 300g xtp is a good direction for me to go. Believe i will give it a try. It has a good reputation as a deer killer, and it's BC say it will fly better than these prettier pointy bullets, and it is less monies.

Wish i didn't have to wait so long to give it a try on deer. The good thing is i will be able to shoot it economically until using it to hunt with, if it will shoot good in my rifles. The local Cabela's is selling it for less than $15, and they also have green crush rib sabots hanging on a peg there in the store.

Perhaps the ftx will turn out to be a better hunting bullet than the sst. It appears to be quite accurate, and is some less monies than the sst is.

Lee ...Where did you get the 250 grain FTX's for $26 shipped?
We paid $33....

I hope I didnt overlook anything, but what are the differneces between FTX and SST/

Back