Took the Peregrine out today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
To shoot some groups and test powder charges
I was using Blackhorn 209 and Creddite 209 primers
the distance was 100 yards and I was using a 300 gr. Pittman bullets sized to .4016-.4017 just a whisker under .401
2 primer shots to start the dance and the Peregrine attacked 40.jpg
This was 130/v or 91/w /these are 3 shot groups
this next one was 140/v or 98/w40+1.jpg
these pics need to be rotated 90° but you get the drift

Last edited:
So I guess that Knight lives up to their MOA guarantee at 500 yds
the first group measured .430 and the second was .640 not to shabby
keeping rite up with my 6.5 Creedmoor but with twice the bullet weight

their claim is 3000 fps, highly unlikely unless a super light bullet, its supposed to handle up to 160 gr's. of black or sub's. If they don't want people to try that or use that don't print it. That is just over .401 not under, missed it

Oh Eagle I don't doubt you but its still a lot of powder.
Looking at the financial end of this a 10 oz can of BH209 is running $75 a pop or more. You get about 48 shots with that 91 gr charge so about $1.55 a charge. Add $2.50 each for yhe bullets ant you're up to $4.00 a shot!
You can't doubt the accuracy but wow too much if its only for bragging rights. A money shoot I would say ok. Too rich for my blood.

Last edited:
Oh Eagle I don't doubt you but its still a lot of powder.
Looking at the financial end of this a 10 oz can of BH209 is running $75 a pop or more. You get about 48 shots with that 91 gr charge so about $1.55 a charge. Add $2.50 each for yhe bullets ant you're up to $4.00 a shot!
You can't doubt the accuracy but wow too much if its only for bragging rights. A money shoot I would say ok. Too rich for my blood.
And I say if it feels good, do. Everybody has their own threshold for what's too expensive. People who love the BH look well past the price tag to get their enjoyment and benefits out of using it. I have one smokeless gun so I can't say that I am worried about the cost of BH since that smokeless gun will whittle down the number of guns that I hunt with using bh to 1. And that generally costs me about 5 shots at the club just before the season starts and usually 1 in the field. That all the bh I now shoot in a season so actually its very affordable.

Too many people worry about what other people are using for powder, especially what the powder of choice costs. Why get indegestion over what someone else is paying for a shot using bh? It's their checkbook.

Still, even though BH costs an arm and a leg, many here have bought and use BH in the field where all of it's real benefits exist and use T7 or some other unmentionable powder during range time. All three of the guns I hunt with using BH are dialed in very nicely. ^ shots pre-season and one, maybe two in the woods. Everything else is done with FFFg T7 mirroring the BH load so I can shoot a lot at the club and still afford BH and I am not wealthy by any standard. I fully understand the value of BH beyond just shooting and its cost and I won't change those benefits because it costs a few cents more to prepare to hunt shoot in the woods because the dependability of BH far outweighs any other powder's use when hunting. Personally, I'd sacrifice some fishing gas money or maybe a bottle of bourbon to be able to hunt with BH. That's how much I trust in it while hunting.

Back