Tracking year of manufacture

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I have a couple older CVA rifles that are factory guns. Is there a way to find the year of manufacture thru the serial numbers?

It appears to be more complicated than I remember. Here is a thread on the High Road about it.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/cva-mfg-date.501353/Newer models are the last two digits, 80's they say were the first 2 digits.

John

I'm a bit confused.........

My Spanish factory made, 2 screw patchbox gun has a serial number of "90 72xx54"

Do I assume the 90 before the rest of the serial is the date?
I thought 2 screw guns were newer? Is 90 considered newer? And the 90 is first in the serial, like the older guns?

Last edited:
Sorry to bump another old thread but I was given an old CVA rifle at least 32 or 33 years ago by a coworker of my wife... When he gave it to me, he said it was his grandfathers rifle and hadn't been used in many years. I still haven't shot it but I did spend a fair amount of time trying to track down a rough estimate of it's age. I still have no clue. :)

Jon.

Have you tried contacting CVA and asking them?

I was in contact with them more than once with no good results. But I haven't tried again in recent years. The closest thing I've come up with was the date code being the first two numbers of the serial number for older models and the last two numbers being the date code for later models. The rifle I was gifted only has a five digit serial number. The serial number on my first kit rifle from the 70's is 78 followed by a space and six numbers.

Jon.

Latest posts

Back