Traditions firearms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbc5150

Reaction score
I am new to the whole hunting and ML thing i was wondering what you guys think about traditions firearms ML's are they a good gun or not. The reason i ask this will be my first year hunting here in Michigan and where i will be hunting you can only use a ML or shot gun. I would rather have the ML but dont know if these are good guns. :roll:

I've owned a couple traditions. First one was an early model evolution. Shot many deer with the firearm. Accuracy was good. The older models had a spring loaded bolt, which wasn't locked down. When carrying one handed, my sleeve would catch the bolt and lift it up just enough to cause it to fly back. Nothing dangerous, just noisy and luckily never cost me a shot on a deer.

Purchased a pursuit pro last year to play with. My model has the steel receiver. Sent it back to Traditions because the trigger pull was horrible. They adjusted it to a 3.5 lb trigger pull. I like the fact that the safety can be engaged with the hammer in full cock, locking the hammer in place. Deer comes along, all you have to do is push the safety off and shoot. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to fire it yet. With my prohunter shooting so well, probably sell the pursuit pro to free up some funds.

I have a pursuit pro and have gotten so fantastic groups at 100 yds. 1 1/4" I shoot XTP 240 gr with T7 100 gr pellets great gun great accuracy for the money

Any of the modern day inlines with the faster twist barrels will normally shoot a reasonable accuracy hunting load. The trick is to find out what they shoot. As to the quality of Tradition Rifles, I own three of them and have found them to be good shooters.

If the idea of the Spanish made barrels do not bother you, then go for it. In fact there is a sale on one of the newer models, the Yukon in Sportsman's Guide for $150.00

dbc, i own a couple of cva's which come from the same manufacturer as traditions guns. this is my own personal opinion of the spanish-made guns . . . they work, but they are a little rough around the edges comparatively. they cost less than the american-made guns, though, so that's to be expected. i think they are capable of very good accuracy, but you will definitely be able to tell the difference in quality, fit/finish, etc. between a spanish-made and an american-made rifle (such as a knight, thompson/center, etc.) also, i (personally) would be hesitant to shoot "magnum" powder loads in one of these rifles (i.e. 3-pellet loads). of course, i don't shoot magnum loads in any of my rifles, so that's kind of a moot point to me.

i have had very good luck picking up discontinued models of american-made rifles that are still NIB for very low prices.

Hey thanks guys for all the great info i think i will probably start out in the cheper range guns. I can always get a more expensive one later if i enjoy shooting the ML. They have the traditions pursuit with a scope and everything needed to get started for $199 at walmart right now i might start here.

n8dawg6 said:
i have had very good luck picking up discontinued models of american-made rifles that are still NIB for very low prices.

I am going to agree with this strategy, and point out that it works anywhere there is rapid technology turnover or extreme business competition. For example this is my buying strategy for digital cameras too. ;)

But I bought my now-discounted ULA ML at the original list price!

jim

My son and I are on year # 6 with our Hawken Woodsmans and not a problem yet. We are sticklers for detail so that may add to our success. Have not used a Traditions inline.

My first inline was a Traditions and it was more than adequate. It shot reasonably good group, in the 2 - 3 inch area and the deer didn't know the difference. I bought it for the price 'cause I wasn't sure if I'd like muzzleloading. Found out I did 8) . Have sold it and moved on to a Savage, but that's a different story :wink:

cayuga said:
Any of the modern day inlines with the faster twist barrels will normally shoot a reasonable accuracy hunting load. The trick is to find out what they shoot. As to the quality of Tradition Rifles, I own three of them and have found them to be good shooters.

If the idea of the Spanish made barrels do not bother you, then go for it. In fact there is a sale on one of the newer models, the Yukon in Sportsman's Guide for $150.00
I am wondering what is wrong with the spanish barrels? I have a traditions panther and it shoots fine. Just wish I could find some info on that gun though.

Mutt,

I don't think there are any "quality issues" with the Spanish barrels but there has been discussion on the "proofing" of the barrels.

Most European barrels are "pressure fired" and stamped that they have been proofed. When you convert from a "metric ton" pressure stamp
to a "copper unit of pressure" (CUP) or a "pressure per square inch" (PSI)
it has been discussed that "some" the spanish barrels should be limited to 100 grains of powder. I am not sure how true this is but your may want to research this issue a little more.

Hopefully someone else here on the forum can elaborate on this.

Choc-dog

choc-dog said:
Mutt,

I don't think there are any "quality issues" with the Spanish barrels but there has been discussion on the "proofing" of the barrels.

Most European barrels are "pressure fired" and stamped that they have been proofed. When you convert from a "metric ton" pressure stamp
to a "copper unit of pressure" (CUP) or a "pressure per square inch" (PSI)
it has been discussed that "some" the spanish barrels should be limited to 100 grains of powder. I am not sure how true this is but your may want to research this issue a little more.

Hopefully someone else here on the forum can elaborate on this.

Choc-dog

From what little I researched when I bought my first inline, a CVA:
The CPI (European equivalent to SAAMI) requires .50 caliber rifles to be proofed to 1400 bar or 20,305 psi. Maximum allowable pressure is 30% less of the proof pressure=14,213 psi. I don't have the pressures commited to memory but I'm sure that the 150 grain three pellet pyrodex/triple 7 loads generates over 20,000 psi of pressure.

i had 2 TRADITIONS ...one LT which just let go after 75 odd shots ..

the other a PRO better make 28" barrel ,and was too heavy in the front ,also the trigger was horrible ..but they were both good shooters..i now have a .50 cal. ROSSI ..

Latest posts

Back