Traditions Mountain Rifle Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very good job.  :Red tup:  
Most of those faux stripes look like a 5 yr-old's rendition of a tiger.

Great job on your faux curl ! I don’t believe I’ve seen better on any ones work.

patocazador said:
That's a very good job.  :Red tup:  
Most of those faux stripes look like a 5 yr-old's rendition of a tiger.
I have had several original flinters and percussion guns using faux stripes, a few were like what Jon has just done. Turner Kirkland and Jack Gardner offered this service at Dixie Gun Works for years.

In old back issues of Dixie's catalogs there use to be a process spelled out on how to do faux stripes using cordage to soak the stain in like the old timers did.

Started applying the finish today! Just a thin coat to soak up over night. Im really happy with the color of the stain. Looks perfect and very romantic in a way.

I've got to say that you did a super job on that striping; it really looks great.  And I like the stain you used.  That's going to be a very nice stock.  But I do have to agree with the comments concerning the lock panels.  The lock looks lost in there.  Still, I do like the job you did.

I have to agree on the faux striping. It's a beautiful job Jon. One of the best I've seen in awhile. I may have to give it a try on my next project. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

What I love about the faux striping.. When I rubbed it down with the linseed oil, it kind of leeches out and rubs off quite a bit. It looks a lot more natural. You  get a mix of heavy stripes, light stripes and of course, the ghost stripes that show up better  when you hold it at a different angle lol. I rubbed some finish on tonight. Just slowly letting it dry until I have enough to steel wool it and continue. I swear this is the slowest part of the build, but worth it.

Very curious, here; but what did you use for those stripes?  Dye, paint, etc?

laural mountain forge walnut stain. Im not 100% sure i would like  to use dye or paint as they would probably look like an obvious fake as it stands out rather than "blend" in.

Good question. Over the years when working with antiques and repairing damages we have used anything from a dirt and oil mix to artist paints thinned down to 50/50. The color is the important part of what ever the product used - color - color - color. Go light on first coat, test under a plate or channel not seen when covered - barrel channels and under butt plates are good testing grounds.

whew! The finish is I swear has been the most time consuming part of this rifle. Just wipe on thin, maybe 2-3 coats per day, give 2 days to dry, buff with steel wool and apply again.... I think I may have just applied the last coat this evening. Looks really sharp.

You did an excellent job on this build. I'm getting close to getting a rifle ready to sent to you for a before and after treatment on the bore, do a cone job, look at smoothing the lock and trigger and testing by shooting groups off your bench.  :Red tup:

A before and after report on a new GRRW Collectors Association gun would be an interesting subject for you to write about for an article in a magazine. Once that one is done I'll sent you another new model and so on. Be a nice series that these publishers love and would also help out these old boys that are building for GRRW.CA with a few more orders.   8)

31290640_1844050888993012_3219520769431598006_n.jpg

Love love love the finish on this rifle. The color is great.

Man, that rifle sho-nuff looks good!

Much better pictures today! I love the rifle. Now to order a flintlock kit as my own LMAO.
100_1310.jpg

100_1311.jpg

100_1315.jpg

100_1316.jpg

100_1317.jpg

100_1312.jpg

100_1313.jpg

100_1314.jpg

100_1318.jpg

Excellent job!! I could live with the lock panels easier than the perch belly.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back