Traditions Prarie hawkens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCountry1

Reaction score
Traditions Prarie hawkens

Has anyone here have any experience with a Traditions prarie hawken?  I have a mountain rifle and like it alot. Wanted something lil shorter and lighter to carry. I am thinking of buying a kit and assembling it myself. Any information would be much appreciated.

Re: Traditions Prarie hawkens

The prairie hawken certainly is not lighter than the MR. It has a 1" barrel. Not a bad rifle, I personally did not like the tang set up, very springy and not well thought out. Huge boat oar stock that will require a lot of reworking to make it look decent. I built the one I had from a kit for a  member on here. It turned out great, but its not a light weight!

If you want shorter and light, the St.Louis hawken kit is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply Jon. Was it a accurate rifle?  That surely makes me reconsider my next build for sure. Glad i didnt order the kit yesterday lol !!

I never shot it, but Traditions builds a solid barrel is 99% of the time, is deadly accurate. They make a good clean consistent barrel.

I am probably gonna order a St Louis hawken. Also what a good .54 cal hawken rifle to get ?

FrontierGander said:
I never shot it, but Traditions builds a solid barrel is 99% of the time, is deadly accurate. They make a good clean consistent barrel.
If anyone would know about these guns it would be Jon (FrontierGander).  :Red tup:

I have the Prairie Hawken Jon built and it's definitely not any lighter than the Mountain Rifle.  I've yet to take it to the range as we went straight from wet & cold to hot & dry and I don't care to shoot when the temp is in the humid 90's!  I have put a few rounds through it from the back porch, but that was just to make sure it would go bang................it did  :lol:

:lol!: its hard shooting in your underwear with the sun blazing down on you.

FrontierGander said:
:lol!:  its hard shooting in your underwear with the sun blazing down on you.

What underwear would that be :Need photo: :lol!:

Do folks in Alabama wear underwear? That's shocking ....   :face:   :roll:

Buck Conner said:
Do folks in Alabama wear underwear? That's shocking ....   :face:   :roll:
Only as part of formal attire  :D :affraid:   I once tried "Buck Naked" from Duluth Trading, but I was lied to cause it can be seen just like my BVDs!

Wow what a hijack!  Sorry guys, now back to our normal programming.

Roll up your "Buck Naked" drawers and use them for padding on your shoulder. That may help with the recoil Rick.   :)

Latest posts

Back