Tree Stand Muzzleloader safety

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerock

Reaction score
I was wondering what was the safe way to enter or exit a tree or ladder stand with a ML rifle. Does one haul up the gun empty or can it be done with powder and bullet but no primer. On the other end of the hunt if one has a loaded and primed rifle does one simply remove the primer and lower the gun to the ground or is it safest to discharge the gun before letting it down. Firing the gun might tend to queer the area for any subsequent hunts for a few days.

With the centerfire guns that I am used to I always raise and lower an empty gun (both chamber and magazine) with the muzzle pointed down.

I know that the tree stands that I have been in have not always been the most sturdy or stable platforms and I am wondering about the exertions of getting a sabot and bullet down the barrel while trying to maintain your balance.

Bluerock said:
I was wondering what was the safe way to enter or exit a tree or ladder stand with a ML rifle. Does one haul up the gun empty or can it be done with powder and bullet but no primer. On the other end of the hunt if one has a loaded and primed rifle does one simply remove the primer and lower the gun to the ground or is it safest to discharge the gun before letting it down. Firing the gun might tend to queer the area for any subsequent hunts for a few days.

With the centerfire guns that I am used to I always raise and lower an empty gun (both chamber and magazine) with the muzzle pointed down.

I know that the tree stands that I have been in have not always been the most sturdy or stable platforms and I am wondering about the exertions of getting a sabot and bullet down the barrel while trying to maintain your balance.

I do it with no cap (powder and bullet in the barrel) and the muzzle pointed down. I think for caplocks and inlines it's safe enough. Flinters would have to be another story. Don't know what I'd try to do with a flinter.

I raise and lower the gun with a rope. The inline ML is loaded, but the gun does not have a cap or primer in it during this process.

PLEASE DON"T ENTER THE STAND WITH A CAPPED RIFLE!!!!!!
One of the last cases I worked was a young man who did that , it caught on a branch and fired, the slug entered and exited and he yelled for help for a long while before another hunter found him,,at which time he was dead.

For flinters I have gone to zip tying the hammer down, once in the stand I cut away the zip tie and then prime the pan.

I have a friend who is a fire chief and he was sitting in his treestand and dropped his rifle,it was a Hawken's style, it had the hammer down against the cap and when he dropped it it hit a rung on the ladder and discharged it blew a hole through his hand. Being a firechief/paramedic he knew how to stop the bleeding and went and got his son who took him to the hospital. Amazing he said it really didn't hurt that bad.
Ken

The gun I am using is a T/C Omega with the exposed hammer. I take it then that it is safe to raise and lower this gun loaded with powder and bullet as long as there is no primer in the breech.

Many Thanks!

I have always felt safer with an un-capped rifle on my back, when climbing a ladder stand. When I hunt out of my climber, I have the un-capped rifle slung over my neck and horizontal across my chest. I never did feel comfortable raising a rifle with a rope. JMO.

Another thing to watch out for is lower (or carelessly raising) a rifle with the muzzle pointed DOWN. That violates a primary rule of gun safety--NEVER PUT YOUR MUZZLE AGAINST THE GROUND. You could get a piece of stick, or other debris in the muzzle. Mud is especially dangerous, since it could then freeze solid.

Rifles should be raised and lowered in a horizontal position. The easiest way to do that is to tie your pull rope to the rifle sling.

Mountain Man said:
Another thing to watch out for is lower (or carelessly raising) a rifle with the muzzle pointed DOWN. That violates a primary rule of gun safety--NEVER PUT YOUR MUZZLE AGAINST THE GROUND. You could get a piece of stick, or other debris in the muzzle. Mud is especially dangerous, since it could then freeze solid.

Rifles should be raised and lowered in a horizontal position. The easiest way to do that is to tie your pull rope to the rifle sling.

Agreed. :!:

I muzzleload hunt for deer from TS's almost 100%.

With a flinter I wait till I'm securly up in before I load. With a 209 or No. 11 type ML I hoist up loaded BUT UNPRIMED.

I have been using THE STRAPPER RETRIEVER HOIST for years which is a reel webbing type hoist which hooks on your belt. It is very secure & has a double buckle point which you loop on gun. Best hoist I've found that securely keeps your gun in a safe position.

Its the one on the bottom.

p004810sq04.jpg

Mountain Man said:

That's why you put tape over the muzzle. To keep stuff out of there. I keep a roll of electrical tape in my possibles bag for things like that.

Latest posts

Back