Tree stands. Looking for a climber.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you hunt from? Can pick more than one.

• Stalk, no blind

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Ground Blind

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Tripod Style Stand

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Ladder Tree Stand

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Climber Tree Stand

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Saddle Style

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hard Sided Penthouse

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Open Window or Door

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm curious how you guys do your hunting? Are you climbing trees or unfolding the chair.

Also looking for input on whether I should go with a climber deer stand or a saddle setup. The land i hunt, 550 acres of farm fields with creeks and woods and large grass meadows, has a few stands but they quickly get over worked. So I'm looking to get into some of the areas that don't get hit due to no stands in that quarter of the property. I like the idea of the saddle but thinking the traditional climber stand is a better fit for this guy who is starting to realize he isn't 20 anymore. Plus cost on a saddle setup is pricey, I won't buy cheap ropes and etc when that's what is holding me up. So for $400 bucks I can get a Summit Goliath climber. Goliath cause I like having space and none of us are getting any smaller.

I use an old API climbing stand. Mine's gotta be 25 years old now. The new ones today probably aren't the same quality as my old one.
Summit stands are good, from everything I've heard.
If I needed one, I'd look at the Mini Viper.
No one can argue about that buddy. They don't make anything like they used to. I do like the idea of that micro viper but don't think it's a good fit for me.

The size of the climber is a big deal to me. But it's the size for when I'm sitting in it. I'm not a big guy but I like my space. Prefer double ladder stands over singles even. The climber will go out to the far side of property and be left there for the two months of hunting season and moved around in that area. That way it goes out the 3/4 mile walk once there and once back. So I'm not too concerned about the size and discomfort of hauling it out there.

No one can argue about that buddy. They don't make anything like they used to. I do like the idea of that micro viper but don't think it's a good fit for me.

The size of the climber is a big deal to me. But it's the size for when I'm sitting in it. I'm not a big guy but I like my space. Prefer double ladder stands over singles even. The climber will go out to the far side of property and be left there for the two months of hunting season and moved around in that area. That way it goes out the 3/4 mile walk once there and once back. So I'm not too concerned about the size and discomfort of hauling it out there.
The new model of the standard size Summit Viper is alum., sound deadening in it & its 5lbs lighter that the orig steel version - its 21lbs. There is plenty of room in it & its comfortable for dark to dark hunting, easy & quiet to attach & climb. Theres not another brand of self climber that I'd ever choose over the Summit Viper. I have the mini viper now. Its on the small side, but only 18lbs. Its perfect for me & hangin off 8" pine trees here in Fl.

Back before I was old and crippled I used a Tree Lounge climber. Very comfortable and about the only way to fall out of one is to jump out. Only downfall is they are heavy.
I think I've shared this story before in here;
When Sumit released their Viper self climber, I got one.
On occasion, I'd get together with a good sized group of guys & we'd hit someones lg pc of private land to hunt & we'd spread out to cover as much ground as we could collectively. This meant that almost everyone in that ( around 20 guys at the very most ) had a self climber & a few guys were better off staying on tera firma.
Now there were quite a few guys that all fell for those tree lounges. Most of them, when referring to them, only stated that they were easy to sleep in & they were on the heavy side. The orig Summit Viper was 26lbs. So it wasn't exactly " lightweight " either.
One of my very close friends had a party at his small farm & many of that group were there. I had my Summit Viper in my truck that day. I asked my friend to get his tree lounge, that I wanted to compare them side by side - in his front yard. We put his tree lounge on a tree & I went up about 10' ( it was all I needed to see ) & I got " into position " in it. It was not comfortable nor practical to try & shoot out of in the least bit. To have to shoot in any other position that the animal coming straight at the front & center of that stand, was not easy to get into a shooting position at all & required too much moving. It was indeed very comfy to "lay in" ( bc thats what you do in one ) and sleep the day away. I still have the pic of me with his 3 little ones piled on top of me in that stand ( after I came down to shoulder height ).
Then, I put my Summit on the same tree. Everyone was impressed at how easy & quiet it was to mount & climb. Everything about it was easier, better, quieter, period. And everyone wanted to get in it for a test climb. No one, and & mean - no one, claimed their tree lounge was as good or better & all commented on how much more practical the Viper was to shoot out of in a 180* span without hardly any movement & nothing uncomfortable or impractical.
It wasn't very long after that party when a few guys got the Summit & that progressed until there were only a cpl guys that stayed with their tree lounges. I couldn't imagine even trying to bow hunt out of a tree lounge.

Last edited:
When i started in the Trees, i climbed them to limbs that felt comfortable to me. I had couple of cords/ropes i had tied to me as i climbed. Took all my stuff up including a thick pillow to sit on the limb with. Then i started building crouch boards n or using 2 trees made a sitting stand. Best Climbing stands bar none were Amackers i bought n used till they were all stole. I now own 2 Summits a Viper S n the Goliath both alum. Now i am going to sell one n get a ladder stand in the future. I use all of my stands for crossbow hunting. For mostly ML's hunting i now use my 21' cargo trailer. Fridge, 2 burner stove, heater, ramp back door if its not teens an lower. If its just nasty cold n high winds rains snow . If those are going on i just open one of the windows. :)

I have a summit and tree saddle. The summit is way more comfortable but the saddle is mobile. My death diaper set up is ultra light and I am very secure but for plain comfort… Climber all day long.

I'm a big guy,(6ft 255 lbs) and I have 3 Summit tree stands. I love them all but the 180 is my favorite. The part away from the tree is curved on the 180 so you can face the tree if you want. I always have my back to the tree but the extra legroom of the curved front makes the stand roomy both for sitting and standing. The stand is stable and quite when in place.

Why is the Goliath the best climber you've used? Are you a bigger guy?
Yes bigger guy. It's comfortable, quiet have the SD version. I have no private lands to hunt so I'm usually on gamelands. I don't mind carrying it in, it's heavy but youth is on my side (for now). If it's too far in I'll take it in and stash it. I have an API I like about as good, but the Goliath has a little more room. If your comfortable it's easier to sit still. 110% would recommend it, very very comfortable and it really bites into the tree and holds good. works great for my application

Last edited:
My Loggy Bayou has been hanging on the rack for at least 10 years now. I scout and use hang on stands and ladder sticks now. I put 3 or 4 up each year and almost always get 1 buck and several doe each year.

Back