Trimming Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaska viking

Reaction score
While on the phone with Connie at MMP ordering a bunch of HPH24 sabots, she asked what bullets I was using.
I told her I had very good results using the 290 gr. TMZ, and the Partition 260 gr., with both surprisingly achieving near identical P.O.I., using the HPH24 sabots, and 100 gr. of Bh209, (by volume).
She suggested I take a set of toenail clippers, and trimming 1/4" off the sabots when using the shorter Noslers. I'm not sure what that would achieve, as I am getting 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, but found it an interesting, if somewhat novel, idea.
Has anyone tried this?

Another thing you might consider is harvesters short smooth black. They measure the same as hph24. .503-.504. If you went that way you wouldn't have to trim the sabot.

You can trim or not trim, depends how much you like to fiddle. If shots on game are the goal, I don't see it mattering any. There are always the variables out hunting, no bench, and that animal may not be fully cooperative.

With a short bullet the tip of the bullet, and the ogive, may sit low in the sabot allowing the pedals to stick up more than you need. That can let your ramrods Jag/ loading tip slip inside of the pedals or in some cases (depending on the tip) actually fold the end of the pedals over since the loading tip is pushing down on the pedals instead of just the bullets tip/ogive. Trimming them on short bullets would prevent that.

I have so trimmed some sabots but as mentioned if you shoot that small of groups I see no need to change anything.

My thoughts, as well. Quite frankly, this gun seems to shoot better than I generally can. I will likely leave well enough alone. Now if I can just tame the recoil!
Gun only weighs around 7 pounds fully equipped. The 290 TMZ with 110 Bh209 is plenty. Can't even try 120grains with a scope.
Might need to look into longer eye relief, but the current scope allows 4". There are 5" scopes, but all the ones I find have the BDC or similar reticles, and I'm not really into that for this rifle. (I will say, I find it useful for my X-bow, so not against them, in general).

I should add that I seem to have the best accuracy with 100 grains, and is what I will likely be using.

This is all in preparation for deer hunting, correct? Would it be 'Blacktail' at fairly modest ranges? I do realize out on Kodiak while deer hunting one has to load for bear. Depending on where you are that may be less of an issue.

When I lived in WA State I saw the Blacktails while out an about. As I remember they were usually on the smaller side. The woods was rather thick, any shots would short.

If your conditions are similar your 100 grain load would be great for hunting. When my Son was younger I loaded up 80 grains of B209 for him on a 'youth hunt'. He shot a deer at about 20 yards, which went another 20 yards after the shot. This was with a 50 cal and a 250 grain SST.

(off-topic for Alaska Viking) You've mentioned the recoil a few times. On Monday using my Omega, I shot 20 rounds of 50/40 200 gr. SSTs with 90 gr. of BH 209. Had a blast and no sore shoulder that evening. Good to 150 yards. Next week I'm swapping-out my Knight's 90 grain load of Hornady XTP 300 gr. 44-cals for 200 gr. 44-cal XTPs. The Hornady website gives this bullet high ratings and so do about 50 shooter-reviews I read. Chopping off 100 grains of lead / recoil, keeps the fun going a-lot longer.

You can have fun shooting MLs accurately and not have to deal with all the recoil (110-120) grain loads so many members are using with Blackhorn. This is a sport where we should recognize limitations of the gun and not try to feed it like centerfires. (my opinion).

That is the same way I'm starting to look at things also Triplese7en. At my age the recoil ain't all that much fun. I'm currently shooting 100grns and that's all I want to handle. Lighter load smaller bullet sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll try that 200 grn bullet also.

alaska viking said:
I am getting 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards

I say don't fix it if it ain't broke! :mrgreen:

Regarding taming recoil, I know some folks say the Limbsaver pads do a nice job (over factory pads), but I have not used one to say for sure.

When I hunt Admiralty Island, brown bears are always on my mind, and have had them respond to a deer call more than once. So far, they have behaved as I wanted them to, but when hunting that island, (as well as Chichigof), you have to be mindful that they are always near.
I am developing a fairly high degree of confidence in my MZ, and I am not really recoil-sensitive, but as for range sessions, see no point in punishing myself more than needed, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back