Triple 7 in a caplock rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your question would get more views/attention in the right section, Scroll down and you will see a Sidelock/Traditional Muzzleloading Sub forum.

Lots of people use T7 in Sidelock Muzzleloaders, I personally have not tried it. It’s my understanding you need the Nipple Flash hole opened up slightly to get Reliable ignition. I tried Pyrodex P in my .45 Cal Sidelock at least 3 times and it was HORRIBLE JUNK! The only consistent thing i found with Pyrodex P was Hangfires

I guess if I was to try t7 in a sidekick I’d install a hotshot type of nipple and use magnum caps or a musket cap nipple.

I ended up with 4lbs of T7 donated by a friend. I used a hotshot nipple and CCI caps without any problems for some random plinking. The things I noticed was a I didnt have to swab as often and my wife didnt compain when I cleaned my rifle in the kitchen.

2frogs said:
Will the triple 7 loose powder work in my cap lock rifle..

That is all that I use in my sidelocks! I really prefer it a whole bunch as compared to real BP. While T7 is corrosive it is not nearly as corrosive as real BP or any of the Pyros.

In a sidelock I choose to shoot T7-3f. It is a much finer granulation and much easier to tap out under the nipple. It is easier to ignite and burns somewhat cleaner than 2f - and much cleaner than the other subs. I would suggest that you use a #11 Magnum Cap for ignition and better yet a Dynamit Noble 1078+ cap. With all that said if you are not shooting in sub freezing weather T7-2f will work just fine also.

One thing you need to be aware of is that T7 burns at a much higher temp than than the other subs and can actually melt the bottom of a lead bullet or burn right through a PRBall. When shooting pure lead I do you a shot card/wad for insulation and isolation. With the tight fitting card it makes it very difficult for water contaminationg the powder - it still can over time but it makes it more difficult.

Here are some pics of bullet testing trip to the rock pit. I made a quick run to check to see if this new bullet developed by Lehigh Defense would/could be accurate from a 1/48 twist rifle.

50-cal-Renegade.jpg

451-230-Work-Area.jpg

Lehigh-451-230.jpg

I said I wasn’t gonna do it, But All of this talk about Triple 7 powder i ended up getting a can of it in 3F to try, I was at Black Sheep Sporting goods in Coeur d’Alene this weekend and they carry it (Mike Sabotloader knows this place :D ) Hopefully i have better luck with this Stuff than i did with Pyrodex P, I found a Treso/Ampco nipple that i have a LOT of shooting through, the Flash Hole measures .032, This T7 is kinda spendy at 25 bucks a Can, nearly the same price as my Swiss Real Black i get at BACO, if this stuff does good for me and shows less Blow back i will likely use it in my Knight MK-85

I am gonna try it this morning in my .45 Cal Sidelock, I have 6 charges Pre weighed out at 65 Weight Grains (i prefer to be more precise with my powder Charges, i never use a Volume measurer) I haven’t made up my mind on what bullet i will use? I will be using an 1/8” Wool felt OP Wad in .50 Cal size for the extra seal, i have NOT had good luck with Hard Card type OP Wads with Grease Groove Bullets. I will post my results

Back