Triple 7 is unreal!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTerminator

Reaction score
Yesterday I shot Triple7 (pellets) for the first time. Before this I had only shot Pyrodex out of my Hawkens. Frankly, I though the "clean up with water" bit was hype. Man, was I wrong.

The stuff cleaned up with plain warm water dampened patches. A couple water dampened patches, a couple dry, one with some rubbing alcohol, and one with Bore Butter and I was done. 5 minutes tops, no mess, no stink. Unreal...

I'll confess that I have not shot near as much with my Hawkens as I could have the last 10 years, because I hated the work, mess and stink of cleaning it.

This stuff combined with my T/C Triumph and saboted bullets, and muzzle loading just became a whole new ball game for me!

If I can, without getting thrashed by someone, I'd like to make some suggestions. Make yourself some cleaning solution of equal parts windshield washer solution and alcohol. Run a patch moistened with this solution, turn it over and run it again. Do the same with a dry patch and you're good to go. STAY AWAT FROM BORE BUTTER! It soaks into your pellets. When you're done shooting clean your gun as above then put a light coat of gun oil in your barrel. Sorry for the long post :roll:

I used Bore Butter with my Hawkens and Pyrodex without any issues. so does Triple 7 have different properties?

Only squib I ever had I was using bore butter when I stored my guns. Didn't run a patch before loading up and missed a big 8 point. Been warned away from it by other people, and never had any more trouble when I stopped using it. Of course 1 bad incident in 27 years ain't bad I guess.. I just like loading a clean, dry bore.

I won't go into the Bore Butter argument - you can do a search and find lots of different opinions on that.
But I would suggest that you make sure to run a brush through your bore a few times before putting the gun away for the season - then finish with patches and whatever rust protectant you like. I also was glad to be able to clean up much easier with T7 over Pyrodex, but I didn't realize that without using the brush there could be a little fowling right aling the edge of the rifling that a patch couldn't get out. By mid-summer when I checked my guns, I found a tiny line of pitting starting along that edge. If I hadn't checked it until the next season, it would have been worse.

Pellets will work good in your Triumph. But I would not trust the rifle to bore butter. Just my opinion..

Bore butter is basically just a wax.

If you get the barrel PERFECTLY clean, then evenly coat it with wax - it would form a moisture barrier and offer a bit of protection. But that's all.

Breakfree CLP, Rem Oil, Sheath, or a number of other good products but .... no bore butter for me!

I kept getting a light rust coating in my Renegade after storing with bore butter when I first got started in this sport in the early 90's, back before triple seven even... Since I have gone to T7 and using BC Sheath for the final bore protection, there are no more light brown patches.

Bore butter is a good bullet or patch lube but thats about it from my personal experience.

NDTerminator

Build your own cleaning patches...

WinPatch.jpg

But protectect the barrel with a good gun oil... I use a synthetic oil Slip 2000

http://www.slip2000.com/

Thanks for the tip, SL. A guy can buy a lot of Windex for the price of a container of BP solvent!

Sabotloader,

Your "pictorial" is so good I can even understand it. :D :D :shock:

Nice job...keep your camera working for all of us.

Greg

Latest posts

Back