Triple 7 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE CYNIC

Reaction score
Well I saw it first hand one evening last week. My buddy and I were walking back to the truck when a doe ran out in front of us. My buddy pulled up with his Omega and ......................NOTHING happened. Triple 7 primer was a DUD. The firing pin was fine.

I have only shot about 20-25 shots with these primers. After this I don't know if I'll stick with them or not. If this had been a nice buck my buddy would have been furious.

Anyone else have any experience having DUD Triple 7 primers?????

I have shot over 1500 of these and never had one not go off.

Bad Luck hits us all at times sounds like it was your buds time.
Sorry to here this happend but I would not think twiced about useing them if I were you.

I have yet to have one not fire, Are you talking about the Winchester T7 209 Primers?

Each time I have unloaded my Disc Elite they have worked. I have not shoot at any Deer because none have been Bucks but I continue get out and hope one of these days a Buck will travel pastme and give me the shot.

Hope you learn what caused the mis-fire but just like another said it seems to happen when you don't need it too???

LFM

I've shot them the last two seasons and have had no trouble and no duds. I've shot over 400 of them at the range in my Omega and killed 5 or 6 deer and I like them. I was sceptical at first, but they are cleaner and cause less carbon build up in my breech plug than regular Win 209's.

Sorry about your friend's bad luck. Was it a clean rifle that may have had oil in the barrel or breech plug contaminate the powder?

The barrel was pretty clean. I think he had one shot down the barrel prior to this incident.

He was using 100 grains (pellets) of Triple 7. The gun was new for this season and fired about 12 times at the range. It was completely cleaned after the range session.

I had a bad CCI DUD once, at the range. It was the FIRST one out of the BOX!!!!! :shock:

I have had good luck with these primers.... I think this is just a one off incident.. Unfortunate and not something you want to have on your mind while hunting.

Head to the range and confirm the primers are good.

I have never had a problem with these either in an Encore and an Encore Pro Hunter.

Curtis

Bad 209's do happen though. Back in the 80's and 90's I used to shoot thousands of trap and skeet targets every year and I was reloading over ten thousand shotgun shells a year. I literally went years without a 209 primer failure, but every once in a while I'd get a bad lot and have a few duds.

I take it the primer in question, the one that started this thread, was well struck? There was a good solid strike from the hammer/firing pin?

I guess I'd use the rest of those primers for practice shooting and get new primers from a different lot for hunting. Good luck the rest of your season.

I have shot hundreds & hundreds of the regular Winchester 209 primers and have not had one bad one. I always toss them after hunting in foul weather. I have freinds that tried the Remington ML primers and they did not care for them. I really dont know why anyone would want to use the gimmick ML primers when regular primers will do more than what was designed for bp.
Frank

Franksauto said:
I really dont know why anyone would want to use the gimmick ML primers when regular primers will do more than what was designed for bp.
Frank

Reduces the crud ring to almost nothing in my Elite and tightens my groups by reducing flyers. I'm sold.

Critter said:
Franksauto said:
I really dont know why anyone would want to use the gimmick ML primers when regular primers will do more than what was designed for bp.
Frank

Reduces the crud ring to almost nothing in my Elite and tightens my groups by reducing flyers. I'm sold.

Yes--I was skeptical of the "gimmick ML primers" too, but the Winchester 777 209's are markedly cleaner shooting in my Omega than standard 209's, and they're accurate.

t7 primers

been out hunting in the rain using t7 primers. Crud ring is reduced. I have has cci and remington fail in the field under lousy conditions. Had an ice sllet storm , don't know if it was the weapon or the primer (showed a strike) but it did not go. Only field results on t7 in my pro is the rain and wet weeds and reeds i was crawling in did not bother it.

I have shot over 100 of these primers, and not one has failed to go BOOM! I will stick with them until a problem presents itself.

Once that New Blackhorn 209 Powder gets here then the T7 Primers will be not useable with that powder and I will have to go back to the Standard 209 Primer once it is here and find a Powder Measure to get the right charge size.

Might have to start using that T7 Powder and Primers up.

LFM

Latest posts

Back