Triumph and BH 209 range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I truly appreciate eveyones willingness to reply to peoples questions and the great information that gets shared on this forum. So I'd like to return the favor. Has to be the best forum I've seen!

So HJBUYS and I went to the range today with our Triumphs to try and see if there were differences in shooting Harvester short black sabots and the crushed ribs. It had been a year since I shot my ML so I had some fine tuning to do since I used to shoot the 777 mag pellets with Barnes 290 TMZ. This time I used BH 209 with Hornady 250 SST's. As you will see in my first group I was high and right. I zeroed in at 100 yrds. Once I got to that point, I swabbed and really took my time with the regular Harvester sabots. As you can see, I shot 6 times and had 5 of them overlapping (making a big hole in the target). Then I switched to the crushed ribs. I noticed it was defnatley easier to push down the barrel. As you can see I had 3 decent shots, but they were more spread out. I did not like the grouping.

Then I wanted to see what kind of drop I would have between the 2 different sabots at 200 yrds. The regular Harvesters and Hornady SST's dropped 7.5" and were right online. The crushed rib were 10" and were spread out.

My thoughts are that the Regular Harvester sabots are superior to the Crushed Ribs in accuracy and will hold the charge better for longer range.

[/img]
regtarget.jpg

crushedtarget.jpg

How do you like your Triumph in general? It looks like you've got it figured out.

TH,
Thanks for posting - looks like you got it dialed in. How many grains of BH209 were you shooting and brand of primers? I'm shooting 250 SST's, Harvester short sabots, 100 gr. BH, and W209's in my Omega and Prohunter and accuracy is awesome. I'm wanting to try some 150 and 200 yard shots just to see how they do.

good info...especially since my short smooth harvesters just came in:)

I was using 120 gr charges with CCI primers. I was using the Harvester black sabots.

Just curious, these sabots went down real easy compared to the TMZ's. Is there a sabot that would fit tighter? Just wanting to try out some different stuff

You should check the sticky note for bullet and sabot diameters:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

I bought some of the 245 spitfires which are discontinued on the Knight website for 13.99 for 30. They have shot so well I haven't even tried my stock of of SST and Harvesters yet. It looks like from the stcky they are .506 and the SST with a harvester are .504. I have to use a t handle to load the Barnes.

I am glad to see another report on the Triumph and 120gr of BH209 with such amazing accuracy. I still can't believe how well this combo shoots at 200 yards.

This Board certainly has some good people who have posted some excellent
load info.

Back