Triumph range report hornady sst bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdadjk

Reaction score
I'm new to the site so i hope this works correctly. I have learned alot from the site, thank you.
i shot my triumph with the nikon emega scope. For all shots i used cci primers hornady 250sst. different grains by volume of bh209.
for my first group all at 100 yrds was in the middle of the target and that was with 90g bh209. nice group touching.
my next group was at the top left of target and was with 100g bh209. not as impressive.
My 3rd group at the top right was with 110g bh209, ok group
Finally my last group at the bottom left was with 120g bh209. pretty good group but not as good as the 90g group. next week i will do a 200 yrd test with 90g and 120g to compare. i shot about 45- 50 shots without swabbing. but my other shots were at 200 but i didnt keep my targets to post. next time i will. the 90g at 200 was pretty good also.

triumph-1.jpg

group100yds.jpg

good shooting...that 90 gr group is very fine.

keep us updated on the 200 yards

Thanks still trying to figure out the scope on how to adjust it. at 200 it shoots a little high with the 3rd circle with 90 gr but just a couple of inches so i think it will be ok

nice shooting...... just think how many more shots you'll get from a can of blackhorn only shooting 90g instead of 120g

I would think that 90 grains of Blackhorn would be a good load. And from the group you shot, it looks good. Have you tried any other projectile? Did the Hornady SST's load hard?

new range report pics. I shot my best group ever at 200yds with 250 sst with the supplied sabots. that is the last picture. the top group of the last picture is sst with SBH sabots
100td250SWSBH1.jpg

100yd250sw.jpg

100yd240gxtpHSB.jpg

200yd240xtpSBH.jpg

200yd250SW.jpg

200yd250SWsuppliedsabot.jpg

200yds250sst.jpg

Nice shooting. If I make itback to therange before first gun season I'm goingto try dropping my BH load from 110 to 90. I had good results with 260 Harvesters sbs and 110grn

saxman1 said:
Good shooting
Where did you buy your all camo Triumph?

Saxman,
Dicks Sporting Goods stores have the all camo Triumphs on hand.I am not sure about anyone else,but this is the only place I have seen them here in NY State.

i got mine at cabelas. they have it on sale right now for $489 with the tc starter kit by mail after you buy it.

if I switch from super glides (which my scope has been sighted in using) to the rehular shock wave bullets that come with the triumph- do you think my sights will still be good enough to shoot a deer out to 100 yards with? or do you think it will throw off my sights to much to do?

I'm not able to check my sights with the reg. shock waves before tomorrow morning...

Thanks!
Brian

Really no way to be sure unless you try it. If you don't have time, I would stay with what you know works untill after hunting.

That will change how tight they fit which will change both how much powder burns before the bullet starts moving and the barrel whip.
I would not change anything with out some sight in shots. Lee

I think i would stick with 90 and not touch a thing , thats a great group !!!

I get the best group with my Encore also using 90 any more or less my groups opens up .

NICE SHOOTING! 90gr of BH209 is what my bullet/gun likes too. thanks for the pics

You are going to love the Triumph.
I have noticed that bullet-sabot diameter and powder burn effect bullet drop. I am pretty sure the tighter bullet with similar BC gives more velocity in a Triumph.

My example is that when I shot 120 gr BH with a SST with a harvester short (.054 diameter)I got a 2" group at 200yrds but with 10" of bullet drop, When I shot a Barmes Spitfire (.506) I got the same grouping but only 6" of bullet drop.

I choose the Barnes to hunt with and sighted the gun 3" high at 100yrds. The 200yrd impact is 3" low. Worked well for me two bucks and two coyotes killed with a long shot of 173yrds on one of the coyotes.

I like the 120gr charge, put the x on the animal out to 200yrds and pull the trigger. Your results may vary and 120 gr kicks like a mule, but I have read posts on the board that many a Triumph owner has excellent results with 120 grain of BH.

Back