Two buddy's, two days, two birds...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
Pictures tell the story!!

Mt hunting buddy Tim Steadman took this bird opening day! Tim took his bird with a classic decoy set up. This big Tom could not resist busting in on the Jake in a full strut. Tim made him pay for that mistake.

Tim22054-27-200512-05-32PM.jpg

I took mine with Tim's help on day two... Mine however was a different story. Tim and I took off from camp right at daybreak and spot-called our way into an area we call the ?back 40?. About 2/3's of the way there we hooked up on a Tom that was interested in our calls and closed the distance quickly. We moved into position and I got setup in the branches of a large deadfall and waited for him to show. Tim continued to call from behind me and to the right so bird #1 would pass by and present me with an easy left-handed shot. But before the bird we were hunting could show himself, a second bird gobbled and moved in to my left...

This is where the story gets good!

My setup on bird #1 was so I could get a shot from the right side of this deadfall. Being left handed any shot from the left side of the area was impossible. So guess where bird # 2 came in from? Yep, right up the trunk of that big old tree just left of center so I had no chance at a shot without being detected. With his head down and tail up at about 10? working through the branches of my makeshift blind I moved to get shot right handed?To all you right handed people, try shouldering your gun to your left shoulder, remove the safety and aim.

Well he busted me and took of running to my left and back over my shoulder. I was able to stand, turn on him while shouldering my gun, figure out which one of my eyes to use to take aim, remove the safety and fire. 32 paces away lay my first turkey? Right-handed head shot at 30 yards?..

That was my first bird!!! That?s why the great big smile

2005turkey.jpg

For my success that day I was allowed to wear the coveted ?strand of spurs? for the day!

2005season.jpg

Great story......enjoyed the nice pics also! :yeah: Makes me wish for April! I take two weeks off every spring just to turkey hunt. My buddy and I have done the spur necklace thing before also, we think it brings us good luck! :wink: :lol:

Between deer hunting in the fall and spring turkey hunting, it's a toss-up as to which I enjoy the most!

I like that story. Reminded me of my second bird. I'm also a lefty. One morning two birds came straight in from my left, I switched hands with the gun, shouldered it laid my face down on the stock tried to aim but I couldn't get the bead to line up. Picked my head up put it back down still the same the bead wont line up. Ahh, close my left eye open my right perfect. Boom, got my second turkey. Good goin IH.

Don

I liked your story very much... I almost felt I was there.

Real cool 8)

Latest posts

Back