Two Feathers Frizzen Covers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Bought 2 of these off stony1 and love them! I had one from TOTW but it was super thick and when on half cock, would hold my frizzen partially open. These fit like a glove and are much thinner. Worked out like a charm :Red tup:
100-0412.jpg

100-0414.jpg

100-0416.jpg

I am new to flintlocks have a Traditions just like yours. What is the purpose of the frizzen cover?

Its an extra safety precaution. If the cock drops by accident and the cover is in place, no spark will happen. It also helps keel foul weather ( rain/snow) from soaking the frizzen steel which could cause a misfire in the field.

FrontierGander said:
Its an extra safety precaution. If  the cock drops by accident and the cover is in place, no spark will happen. It also helps keel foul weather ( rain/snow) from soaking the frizzen steel which could cause a misfire in the field.
Hello guys, and welcome to the forum, R. Boone

If I may add my $.02? I'm the guy who makes these. I'm sure I'll get a 100 posts over this, so up front, "I'm sorry if I over explain this"
Most hunters (with flint locks) prefer to load their rifles and pistols before going into the woods. This results in less noise and movement, (from priming the pan) once the prey is spotted. Part of the loading process is "priming the pan" or putting the 4FFFF powder in the flash pan, then closing the frizzen. Once that's done you have a very usable, but unsafe firearm, with the potential of going off accidentally if you bump the trigger or hit the cock (hammer) hard enough. Now, like Frontier Gander stated, with the frizzen cover on the frizzen there's virtually ZERO chance of the gun firing before it's supposed to, plus once you see your quarry, it's just a matter of quietly lifting that little piece of leather off of the frizzen and pulling the trigger. NO big production, or noise while priming the pan. NO making a lot of unnecessary movements that might spook the animal! Also, as Frontier Gander has stated, it will help keep the frizzen dry thereby reducing the risk of a misfire?

OK guys; go ahead, hit me. I'm sure someone will make the comment that I've become Captain Obvious.
My only intent is to nurture the new comers to BP and be here to help educate them. Sometimes a simple explanation isn't quite enough, and you have to go over it and break it down a little more. I'm sure that there was NO ONE on this website who was born with a working knowledge of the Flint lock firearm. We all had to be told and taught how to use one. So I apologize if I got carried away with the in depth explanation or simplification.
God bless:
Stoney1

It's a good idea to use the frizzen cover even if you don't have powder in the pan. Flintlocks have been known to ignite when the hammer falls on an empty pan. If one spark works it's way into the touch hole it will fire.

So, be safe and use the cover all the time.

OldMtnMan said:
It's a good idea to use the frizzen cover even if you don't have powder in the pan. Flintlocks have been known to ignite when the hammer falls on an empty pan. If one spark works it's way into the touch hole it will fire.

So, be safe and use the cover all the time.
Good point Pete, never gave that a thought. See what I mean about edumacatin' these young ens' You informed Mr. Boone (and others I'm sure) about a possible calamity. Thank you buddy.
God bless:
Stoney1

Thanks for the information, as well as calling me a young un at 60 that makes me fell good!

R. Boone said:
Thanks for the information, as well as calling me a young un at 60 that makes me fell good!
Mr. Boone: You sir; are very welcome. To me anyone younger than myself is a young un, and Pete. I wouldn't mind being 60 again either except for the nastiness of that stroke.  :shock:
Stoney1

Back