ULA finally complete

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
After many years and a fairly good Redfield 2x7x33 scope, i finally got what ive wanted for it. A 2x10x40 that dont weigh a ton and with HD glass..... Unless i find a rail i like better. I found a model 20 Tally rail but im not sure how it will fit this.

This is why. Its only 7.645lbs scoped.
IHY9no0.jpg

Custom Ultra Light Arms model 20 ordered by Big6X6 the former owner of MML. He got it with a slightly longer 26" barrel and slightly heavier contour too. Back in the late 2000s this was selling for $900-$1300. I dont think i ever asked what he paid for this one special order but it took him over 6months to get it. IMO other than the ramrod Melvin got this one right the first time. Flawless rear sealing breach plug, awesome stock and Timney trigger. Rear lug on the 4340 steel bolt so it aint going no where. Shame he no longer makes them even in a smoker. I would sell all my other rifles for this same rifle in 45 1-20 even if it only was rated for BH209.

UYChsSj.jpg

6GFi3qg.jpg

OC2RW7J.jpg

I had a ultra light arms 7mm mag about 15 years ago and it absolutely shot a hole I'm a big fan of lightweight actions quite simply because I hunt hard even as an old man I hunt all day and I move all day I need an ultralight muzzleloader that shoots holes,, and for the deer stand hunters in the box blind guys and sometimes that's me they handle and swing and get up in a window a lot quicker than one of those 12 or 14 pound muzzleloaders,, that's a beautiful rifle and you make my point exactly,most of the morning and hunting conditions that I'm in I would rather have blackhorn than smokeless powder and that's just the honest truth

Im not a big fan of 50cal but this Douglas Prem barrel is butter smooth and shoots almost anything i shove down it. It will shoot nearly everything ive tried within minute of deer to 150y and slightly beyond. Several loads MOA or better out to 150. What it dont like for some reason is a MMP orange sabot and 458s. I can load a Harvester smooth black short and a 225gr XPB and it is flat out killer. That bullet loads so easy you would swear its not going to shoot worth a darn.

I need to revisit it again with some of the Sierra Pro Hunter resized to .454 in a Black Crushrib. I would love to get those shooting at milder speeds. My normal load is a 225gr XPB or 275gr BE a little faster than most smokers can manage. I got some Lehigh .451 230 CFs i need to dial in also.

I try not to exhibit covetousness in life but I might have to ask for forgiveness,that rifle is nice I think I could handle it,,, being 50 cal you got so many bullets to choose from, it's fun when you got a muzzleloader barrel that shoots everything you stuff in it I've got a Wilson barrel that's that way and my brux barrels if I want to go to 2 blackhorn in those they absolutely do it ,, if you got one of those Star trek cloning devices that you can slip that rifle into

I searched high and low for a scope i like better. The Minox ZA5 HD 2x10x40 would have been my first choice. Its ideal and i like the reticle better. They are long gone though and Minox has nothing currently i would like better. I saw the Razor HD LH on closeout for $350 shipped and snagged that puppy fast. They sold out online by morning too. :D I missed the blowout pricing on the ZA5s years ago and i could not let it happen again.

I have to sightron s-tac to 210 their AR scopes with the ballistic reticle I really like them they track real well for me and the glass for the price is real clear I haven't had any trouble with them I do like a 2 to 10 power for my walking gun ,a lot of the 2-10 power ar-type Scopes and hunting Scopes have good eye relief something a muzzleloader can appreciate

I like the Sightrons but its a 30mm tube and they dont offer a 40mm obj in 2x10. If i had to change rings i was going to go all the way and get a rail also. The "M209" might work or it might not work with the Talley rail i found. Its really intended for the Model 20 CF so i im not sure if it will have an issue or not.

It looks like it will work. I might check with Melvin and see what he thinks
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/picatinny-base-for-model-32-28-24-or-20/

Also SFwA scope company down here in Texas they have a ultralight scope I think it's 3 to 10 power it only weighs like 9 oz it's gotten great reviews that'll be the scope I'm looking at putting on my ultralight muzzleloader now and I know it's a 9 oz scope that can take the recoil of a muzzleloader we'll just see I'll blow one up check that scope out read the reviews on it

Last edited:
Nice mount job GM54-120 . No better way than down tight on the barrel as low as possible !!! Sure is nice when you finally are able to get what youve searched long and hard for . Happy for you !!!

Personally i wouldnt mess with that rail . Why ?? This is nice and low , it supports the scope where it should , if eye relief is ok why bother ?? This is lighter anyway . Im not a big fan of all them sharps just waiting for blood either . Whats on there looks like base/ring combined and that is Strong . --Just sayin.....

Besides that you got another project coming up.......:)

Last edited:
Not 100% comfortable in the existing rings but it aint too bad. Eye relief is about the same as the Redfield but the scope is longer. As you can see in the pic there is no room at all to move it. I pretty much lucked out that centered in the rings its "ok"....................And yes it just far enough off the barrel for the obj cover to fit.

Its already a bit tricky to get a 209 in there. That is my only concern with a rail.

Not 100% comfortable in the existing rings but it aint too bad. Eye relief is about the same as the Redfield but the scope is longer. As you can see in the pic there is no room at all to move it. I pretty much lucked out that centered in the rings its "ok"....................And yes it just far enough off the barrel for the obj cover to fit.

Its already a bit tricky to get a 209 in there. That is my only concern with a rail.
Big concern !! You "could" always flip the rear ring around if needed . I think id look at a taller 2pc before that rail IF i really needed the room .....BUT that NEW discovery is there too , and its Nice !!! Think id be thinkin how to pull off that one.......:thumb:
I KNOW i am !!!

Nope i cant. The scope would fit slightly better with it a tiny bit more forward. Flipping the rear ring would only make it worse. Notice how the Redfield ocular lens is further away than the Razor. It was basically perfect. The Redfield is 3.7-4.1" relief. The Razor is 3.8" so its just a tiny bit off due to length. Its only a issue if a quick shouldering shot is needed. Its pretty close tossing it up but not 100%. Its no problem at all if you got time but that is the whole reason i wanted a 2xXXx40 scope.....Fast target acquisition and large FOV.

Nope i cant. The scope would fit slightly better with it a tiny bit more forward. Flipping the rear ring would only make it worse. Notice how the Redfield ocular lens is further away than the Razor. It was basically perfect. The Redfield is 3.7-4.1" relief. The Razor is 3.8" so its just a tiny bit off due to length. Its only a issue if a quick shouldering shot is needed. Its pretty close tossing it up but not 100%. Its no problem at all if you got time but that is the whole reason i wanted a 2xXXx40 scope.....Fast target acquisition and large FOV.
You got any other options that wont break the bank ??

Talley rail and Vortex Pro rings should not be much heavier but those rings are Weaver. The Contessa light weights (lows) are a little high for rails. Hankins is getting close to selling his rings which will be similar to TPS XRT rings. I love those rings but they are 30mm only and about $140 a set.

So right now if i went with what im pretty sure would fit its about $125 for a rail and rings. Combined weight should be just under 6oz. 3oz for the base and 1.41oz per ring.

Last edited:
Talley rail and Vortex Pro rings should not be much heavier but those rings are Weaver. The Contessa light weights (lows) are a little high for rails. Hankins is getting close to selling his rings which will be similar to TPS XRT rings. I love those rings but they are 30mm only and about $140 a set.

So right now if i went with what im pretty sure would fit its about $125 for a rail and rings.
I guess a guys gotta do what he must . High dollar stuff !!! I sure wish you had more economical options .......

I think more economical options will come in time I'm sure there's a lot of gun builders across the country that realize that there's a market and there's not the right product to fill that market,,,,, are we defining market needs the way we should be I wonder sometimes,,, not saying I have the answer to that either,,,I'm going to restate it again I know I have probably four or five times in the short time I've been on this site,,bolt action 24 to 26 inch barrel 1 and 20 twist with barrel dimensions that favor Parker and Pittman type bullets,, not the one bullet powerbelt wants us to shoot,,ultralight bases and rings whether they're integral or Bolt doesn't matter to me,, ultralight fiberglass stock or composite of some type straight comb open grip,, retail price of 1000, that's it for me .. oh and just to make sure blackhorn blackhorn not a smokeless rifle,, no point in even going down that road

Back