Using Copper Bullets Without the SABOT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank in Fairfield

Reaction score
So, I have a traditional .54 caliber muzzleloader and I tried shooting 300 grain .50 caliber copper bullets in a .54 caliber sabot the other day. Before I go any further late me say I built the the .54 from a kit and it has about 1200 rounds through the barrel so I familiar with the loading/cleaning process. Loading the copper bullets required the hitting of the ramrod with a hammer to insure the bullet was in touch with the Pyrodex. The round touched off fine and although it was only 25 yards it did appear that that the 1:48 barrel stabilized the bullet well. I touched off another one with just a patch and did not use the sabot.That bullet went into the target sideways. So, I bought a new inline .50 caliber rifle and now I have no real need for the 90 copper bullets I have (some 300 and seventy-two 275 grainers.) My question is can I use these 50 caliber bullets without a sabot in the .50 caliber rifle? I suppose I will have to measure the lands and grooves of the barrel and compare that information to the measurement of the bullets, huh? Thanks for your advice....Note: I have a bunch of .54 lead projectiles that will probably be melted down and re-cast as .50s..

Just for starters, copper is a lot harder than lead. I don’t see how you’ll have a proper bore fit. You also don’t want the bullet to lift off the charge before firing.

Getting sabotless working requires very precise bullet sizing or under sizing and knurling the bullet back up. Solid copper bullets can be even more difficult. Jacketed can work quite well with some bullets. Depends on the alloys used and jacket thickness.

Getting sabotless working requires very precise bullet sizing or under sizing and knurling the bullet back up. Solid copper bullets can be even more difficult. Jacketed can work quite well with some bullets. Depends on the alloys used and jacket thickness.
Thanksalot

Frank,
Are the bullets in question solid copper or jacketed? I'm not going to give advice on solids but you can size the jacketed ones to fit your bore and they should work fine. You need to measure your BORE diameter, not groove diameter. There's plenty of youtube videos on the subject since this is what the smokeless guys are doing. Also,what is the twist of your new 50 cal? Check out IdahoLewis on here and YouTube and you will find several options for bullet moulds that should work for your rifle, as long as it's not slower than 1:48.

Latest posts

Back